Milking System

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by nitrors4, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

So who has built their own milking system or knows of a good used / scratch and dent one floating around?

We are not in a hurry, but we need to start looking for a unit so we have it when our first does arrive. If we have to milk by hand it is no big deal, but I think using the machine is better for the girls.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Any bite on the one up north?

We can all scour our district lists and yahoo Talk lists and post to this thread if we find another one. Vicki

3. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

He said he would put together a list of what he has and send it to me. Nothing yet. It is a 4 goat milker, so I am not sure if he will want a premium for it or not. Figured I might as well see what else is out there in case that does not work out.

I also contacted Fias Co Farms, but he did not even use a milker.

4. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I put my own system together myself. It was not hard. And alot less expensive than buying one. I got a 5 gallon De Laval bucket off eBay. It did not have a lid. I got the lid, pulsator, tubing, inflations, shells, shutoff valves from Parts Dept. I am using a 1/2 hp Robinair vacuum pump which didn't cost me anything (heating and air friend had one he gave me). My lid is the one for milking two goats at a time but I am just using one side of it and plugging the other side for now. I just wanted it capable to expand later if I wanted too. I have also gotten my Y's and stainless steel elbows from Hamby Dairy Supply. All in all, it cost me about $350.00 to make without the pump and you can get pumps off eBay. That price includes shipping too. It works like a charm.

Vicki in NC

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

If all goes well.....I will be selling a (one goat at a time milking unit)...all new parts, in maybe a month to 2 months from now.
    I'm putting one together now, but will not sell any of these until I run one for a while on my own goats..... and make any changes (improvements) that I feel needs to be made to make it light, portable, and durable.
    Looks like it will sell between $600-650 when I get it done...depends on shipping parts cost to some degree.

I will be notifying the mods here if I start building these things regularly.....and V even may let me "sticky" post an add if all goes well....and IF there is a real need for me to build a few.

We'll See,

Whim

6. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Troy,

Yes, my pump looks like that just older. You have to have at least 3 CFM's for each 5 gallon bucket. It does the job for me for now. I am saving up to purchase a better one from Parts Dept.

Vicki in NC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.