Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used a DIY-made milking stand for the last 5 years now and it's served me great but my new little doe broke it. I figured I'd check what's commercially available just for grins and it lead me to a question.

It seems like there is a difference between a milking stand and a trimming stand. Enough so that one vendor comes out with interchangeable head pieces (Don't know if the link will go through but this is one: Milking Stand for Goats and Sheep). I know that in our backyard herds, we often do things differently than "husbandry professionals" would. I used the milk stand when I wanted to trim my does' hooves and I tied my buck to a ring on the wall to do his.

What I'd like to know is if there is a reason for the difference that the vets and scientists and whoever would like us to use different stands or if it's 100% marketing fluff.

D

·
Registered
2 Posts
My husband built mine and I use it for everything! He made it extra tall because my back is screwed up and it also allows me to sit with my knees under it for milking. It's just 4x4 legs, 2x4's for the stanchion and scrap 1 inch plywood for the platform. It's perfect!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made my first one rather tall, too. I wanted to be able to stand w/o hunching over to trim hooves. It did all right except some of the goats didn't like the climb. I was looking at plans and already made tables stands when I realized that there were two different headpieces in the commercial stands and was wondering what that was about and did I need to make a different headpiece then what I was using before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine does have a rather long ramp but my stumpy goat, Sabrina, just waddles up it. He carved out the 2x4's to accommodate her neck and I just bungeed a bucket onto the front for treats. It fits all my goats from my huge Nubian/Boer cross to my petite (don't actually have a clue what she is). The only ones who can't use it yet are the kids because they're too short to reach their heads through, but they're easy to wrestle for feet trimming anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts