Milking Platform Pictures

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Karen Bailey, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I designed this milking set up and my husband built it for me. My back, elbows and knees were not doing well milking on a standard type of milking stand, but now milking is sooo much easier and faster milking from behind standing up with all the measurements just right for me. The platform has stanchions for 4 does at a time.

Picture 1 shows the ramp the does go up after entering through a gate to the left (not in the picture), the storage area under the platform where I keep the milking machine cleaning supplies, clean wash cloths, my grooming stand, the tub that collects the spilled grain sweepings, an open container for holding udder wash, teat dip, sponges for cleaning, wash cloths, and container for the first few squirts of milk during the milking process, and my radio.

Picture 2 shows the lower raised platform where I can change out the feed pans and close the stanchions.

Picture 3 shows the exit door open blocking the entrance ramp, and the exit ramp and chute.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG]

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

That's neat! How's it working for you?

3. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I love it! Milking takes less time and less energy.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey you did a good job with the stand and also posting the pictures.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

That's a good idea having them up high like that. How do the goats get up there?

6. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Are you milking your does from the back or are they angled so that you can milk from the side? This is a set-up similar to what I want if I build a new milk parlor. Mine will be metal, with expanded metal platform or fiberglass grate.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

My first thought when I saw these pictures was, wow... I guess they don't live in the north! :lol If you lived here the milkstand would be covered with a snowdrift!

Thanks for sharing,
    Sara

8. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Could you give us some dimensions on this? I know the height of the milking platform will have to be designed for the height of the person milking. Was wondering how wide the platform it, and the height and width of the feeding ally. Also how long and wide did you make the loading ramp? Thanks for your help, this will help me with my planning.

9. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Between the wall and the platform is a ramp. I have had a few daredevils that would jump from the ground up, but I did not encourage that!

10. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Milking from the back. I use either the Hoeggers Belly pail slid around from the side, and/or milk by hand into the stainless steel pail with the half moon cover.

11. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

No, here in the south we need more openness in the barn's construction for ventilation in the summer, and just enough walls to block the wind and blowing rain.

12. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Very nice set-up!

Leslie

13. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

The platform is 6ft long by 3ft wide. The feeding alley is 2ft wide, and both ramps are 16in wide, 5ft9in long. If I could change anything it would be to make the alley wider. I have to suck it in when moving back there with a winter coat on around the feeders and wire dividers, and I'd better not gain any weight, or I might get stuck! My husband always does think I'm smaller around than I am! And the ramp would be better longer, with a slightly less incline, but we were working with the area available in the existing space.

14. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I agree that milking from the back is soooo much easer on your arms and back. I too like the standing up while milking idea. and if your legs get tired you could bild yourself a stool to sit on. great pics. and everything looks so clean.

-Melissa

15. Theresa

Theresa New Member

That is really nice. Great job.

16. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

that is soo cool. Enjoy.

Hope it makes milking time easier for you.

Sheryl

17. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Karen, thanks for the details, that will help with planning!