Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been milking our goats twice a day since February and they are milking really well. But now I am considering milking once a day for the rest of this year. Any reasons why I shouldn't milk only once a day? Is it too hard on the girls? Appreciated the advice.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
How much is each doe producing now at each time milked ?

You was milking 2x a day because your does were probably really full and miserable from lots of milk but now after milking for 5 months and with summer heat now , both does have probably slowed down in production and this is normal . If your does are really full when you milk 2x now, then you need to keep milking them 2x a day.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
The nice thing about goats is they are very adaptable to whatever we throw at them. You will probably have no problems with once a day milking. :)

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
You won't believe what I'm doing. I'm very pregnant, and I took one of my Nubians from once a day to once every other day! And she's doing great - 4 lbs at one milking every other day, plenty of milk for our cereal and ice cream. Udder is in great shape! Note that I moved into that gradually. She peaks well over a gallon a day with a regular milking schedule.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Interesting, Angie. FYI, at least for me pregnant and milking/kidding out does is much easier than newborn baby and milking. ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The main goal here for your doe is to not let her get so full of milk that when she lays down to rest that her teats start squirting milk into the air as this opens the orifice and germs and bacteria can enter and cause infection and mastitis and also leave her with a ugly fat blown teat orifice that kids will have a very hard time nursing on due to teat size and the teat size will not shape up after the doe dries up like the other teat so now the doe will have a uneven udder and very dilated teat size. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts