Milking Once a Day - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

My does have recently kidded and I am about to start my milking routine. I have heard of some dairy goat people milking once a day. They said that they thought they got just as much milk and it was half the trouble. It seems like that if you had a HUGE miker you might get more doing it twice a day, but I don't have any of the two gallon producer type. Have any of you ever tried this? How has it worked for you? Any thoughts? Kristin :):

2. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

I have always heard that you don't get as much milk when you only milk once a day.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Really, the only way you could go to once a day is if she has kids on her. They would stay with her during the day and nurse and keep her relatively empty, then at night, you lock her kids away from her and milk her in the morning, sort of like milking twice a day. If you go to only once a day on a doe without kids, then yes, as she gets too full, her milk supply will start drying up. The more you need (milking) the more she will give (to a point). The less you need, the less she will give..

4. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I might try once a day milking late in lactation, but not early when the doe has not yet reached her peak of production.

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

IMO- A newly freshened doe needs milked at least 2 a day. I won't fall back to 1 a day until late this Fall when my doe's production has fallen way back, and most likely will be on 1 a day for the first couple months of her pregnancy. After that, I will start trying to dry her off by skipping every other day to the point that I will only relieve her if she starts getting strutted.
    Just just how I do it here. Many others have very different approaches that work just as well or better than mine.
    I feel like I gain at least 30% more milk on average by milking 2 a day.....and I don't own any "heavy" milker's.

Whim

6. Liberty Alpines

Thanks folks! I think I'll forget it then. Kristin

7. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Ive got two does that are about 4 mos into lactation. I just changed to once a day milking because of my work schedule. They are both giving about 3 qts and both peaked at closer to 5 when about 2 mos fresh. Since they are only getting grain on the stand, some of the decrease may be due to less grain. But from prior experience in once daily milking Ive also seen a 30 - 40 % decrease from peak there too. If I had my milk machine working, I'd keep doing it twice a day. But until we get it fixed- I'm hoping some time next week- they'll stay at daily. I wouldnt want to milk a FF or any doe once daily early in her lactation unless she has kids on her, as Stacy mentioned. I dont know if any research has been done that shows it decreases udder capacity or not, but it does make sense. If these were show does I'd be biting the bullet and milking twice daily for a few more months.

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Kristin, you don't have any 2 gallon a day milkers YET. (Smile) Remember you have that buck out of Syrah and she can give 2 gallons a day easy. She is feeding 4 kids by herself right now with some left over. I am the exception to the rule on the dairy girls. I don't have to have my milk and I like to go antiquing and running around with my best friend, so I usually always dry my girls up early. I go to milking once a day and then every other day and so on until I finally dry them up. I do not get as much milk in one milking a day as I do milking twice a day. If you do decide to do that just be sure and keep an eye on those teats and don't let them strut or they will blow (blow out, no delineation between the teat and udder).

9. Liberty Alpines

Thank you Christine, yes I am looking forward to what I will get out of Abe! He is getting to be so pretty, but bucky. :) He is so friendly and like me an awful lot. :) Kristin

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

That's wonderful. If he turns out with half the personality his Mama and Sire has he should be a sweet heart. Cambrell's buckling is very sweet too. He is like 60 pounds and still tries to climb in my lap.

11. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I'm not one of the old wise goat keepers but I have done once a day milking the last few years.

We usually go to milking once a day at first by putting the kids up at night and then once they are weaned we milk the does twice a day until they begin to decrease in production. From what I have learned here on DGI, you don't want her carrying around the weight of a gallon of milk over 12 hours. And you don't want her blowing out her teats. Also, consider the lactation curve. Milk increases for up to four months. So, you wouldn't want to start until after four months after she freshens. Once lactaion starts to decrease (breeding season) you can move to once a day. We have milked a doe once a day for over a year (didn't breed her the next season). She did very well, giving us 3/4 of a gallon each day until we bred her again. We have just weaned her kids and will milk her twice a day until her production drops. She gives 7-8 pounds of milk per twice a day milking right now.

Now, I only milk for our family, so high production isn't priority. I'm sure you would get more milk in the long run at twice a day milking. Not sure if it makes the doe less of a producer in the future either. But it works for us, giving us plenty of milk for extended periods and lets us have a little freedom.