Milking Nipples???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kira_NewCaneyTx, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Kira_NewCaneyTx

Kira_NewCaneyTx Guest

We just got 2 Mini LaMancha's they were 1 week old when we got them...I am bottle feeding them 3 times a day...But I am having a hard time with Nipples...I bought the nipples at Tractor Supply that attaches onto a soda bottle..Problem with them is, the milk pours out the air hole and gets them soaked ( Plus wastes Milk)..I've been using regular baby bottle nipples, but I have to make the hole bigger..sometimes they get to big, or not big enough...A friend was telling me there are some nipples that have like a ball bearing in them to help with the flow of the milk...I will order them over the net if I can't find them locally...I've called all surrounding suppliers and most have never heard of them...Have any of you?? or do you have any other suggestion??...I have pics on my profile of our 2 new babies..you can see they are healthy, however, I would like to make feeding them an easier task...one of our babies is getting frustrated with me...she is leary about eating...cuz she isn't sure if she is going to get flooded with milk or suck her little mouth away and get very little milk...They are now 3 weeks old...btw, this is my first time to have babies....Hope someone can help...my babies thank you...Kira :help

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

your friend is talking abt pritchard nipples, however getting them on lambar nipples is much
    better. Hoggers or Jeffers should have either.

3. Kira_NewCaneyTx

Kira_NewCaneyTx Guest

Pritchard Nipples are the kind I bought at Tractor Supply...Hmmmmm maybe I got defective ones..cuz those are the ones that the milk just pours out the air holes and drenches my poor babies...I'm on the Jeffers website and looking at the Lambar nipples...can they be used on a bottle?? I show them being sold with a feeding bucket....Thanks for the info...

4. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I use syringe needles to stick into the side of the nipple to allow air back into the bottle. that way the holes aren't that big but enough air gets back in.

-Melissa

5. Kira_NewCaneyTx

Kira_NewCaneyTx Guest

Thank you Sondra and Melissa...I just went in and looked at the Prichard nipples I have...the little ball bearing that goes in the air hole was not in the hole on one of them and the other one was totally missing..guess that was the problem with the prichard nipples...so I'm sure the one that had the little ball ( I put it back into the air hole) will probably work now...next trip to Tractor Supply I'll replace the defective one.....I am also wondering, do I ONLY give milk replacer for 3 months??...is there anything else I could give them?? at what age could I put some feed in front of them to see when they are ready to start eating solid food...Thanks for the help

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You shouldn't be feeding straight milk replacer. Goat kids don't do well on it and you are only asking for problems when using it.

Feed vitamin D whole milk from the grocery store. They will thrive.

Welcome to the forum!

Sara

7. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Kira,

I don't particularly like Milk Replacer. Nothing but problems. I use just whole cow's milk from the grocery store. My kids seem to do better on that. They grow out very well. No scours or constipation or nothing!

Vicki in NC

8. Rose

Rose New Member

You have to have glass bottles for the Pritchard nipples or very heavy plastic, and the nipple has to screw down all the way. It has to have a good seal and suction for the vent to work correctly.

A soft plastic bottle flexes slightly when you are holding it and the pressure squirts the milk out.

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I always use Pritchard nipples on my babies, also got them from TSC, never had a problem like you are describing. I use regular pop bottles or water bottles, 20-24 oz. You will be able to feed them faster with lambar nipples though as they can handle a faster milk flow by 3 wks of age.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use pritchard on diet coke bottles with no problem at all and NEVER use replacers only Vit D milk from grocery store.

11. Kira_NewCaneyTx

Kira_NewCaneyTx Guest

Ok folks, I am off to buy Vitamin D milk for my babies...I want them as healthy as possible....and I will get new Pritchard nipples...Our babies don't know they are goats...we are even taking them camping with us at the end of the month...can't leave them home ( no one here to feed them)...so they are part of the family so needless to say I want the best for them...btw, I won't miss using the milk replacer....IT STINKS!!! :)