Milking Machine questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

I have old fashion teat cups. (I'm not sure if that's the right name.) I'm talking about the part that is stainless steel on the outside and black rubber on the inside. They seem heavy. Is the weight an issue on teat health?

Can I remove the middle rubber section from the outer stainless part?

I've given it a tug, but am afraid of damaging it.

Although I rinse my hoses after each use, I am noticing some small spots of mold. Can I soak the hoses in bleach water? Any other suggestions?

I bought a wagon to pull my surge bucket to and from the barn. That thing is so heavy even b4 the milk is in it. Do any of you do that or something similar?

Thanx for the input; even if it's about something I didn't mention.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well first I have those old inflations and shells also but I immediately changed them out for the clear plastic ones so I could see if they were clean or not. I have never even tried to take the old ones apart as think they would just fall apart with age. they are old rubber.
    yes I soak my hoses in a tub and clean out weekly running a wire and bush thru them . I soak in auto dish soap and bleach water. then rinse good. But the regular stuff to remove milkstone is even better. When I used to milk out back with no water etc. I poured my milk into plastice buckets w/lids to carry to the house to strain. and brought the surge in separate to wash out.
    No way can I carry that with it full of milk.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Lois....Yes, I would just replace those old style shells and inflations, with the clear ones with silicone inflations.
    Since I'm just on my first set, I don't know how long they will last...but think that on average, they supposed to last 5 times longer than the old style ones.

On the heavy bucket.........you may need to do what I think Sondra did. She got DH to install a bleed valve towards the lower side of her bucket. Now when her bucket is too heavy to carry, she can drain some of her milk off into another container....splitting the load.
    ......and just to be on the safer side, my inflations, hoses , and all, gets a soak in dish soap, and then clorox rinsed after every milking. It may cut the life of my "parts" down.......but I figure that is better than taking a chance of bringing my own life cycle down.

Whim

4. WELL...i use cow inflations and cow claws and well...cow everything. But, still use the black rubber inflations, can not stand the silicone. That is just a personal choice, since I know how to handle the black rubber ones that is what I use.

Mold on the claw and all that, never had a problem with that. I heard people all the time do, but just never here. But, my milk room stays dry all the time, windows to the south and no dark areas in it. I would say that the bleach would work with that. One thing I know some cow dairies do is mix up 200ppm bleach water and spray all the equiptment down after milking. That also keeps the flies off of everything.

Ken in MO

5. old dominion

old dominion New Member

My personal preference is clear. An example is I purchase a new set of inflations and one had a small tear in it. I would not have known except I saw the milk inside the inflation doing something funky.

Jolene

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Put a sink in at the barn, my can never leaves the milk room. I tote the milk back and forth to the house in totes, I am using food grade plastic buckets I get from a resturant supply house new and I am going to use them from now on. I also use them to tote the milk back to the milkroom to lambar kids. Different buckets for each job. I am still able to carry, which I know one day I won't, but I do lift weights to help with that...so I can carry two 2 gallon buckets full of milk in each hand, the lids snap on really tightly so no splashing.

Tell you when you start getting older, you just have to start lifing weights and doing cardio, I am a treadmill walker myself.

I prefer the silicone but that is because it's what I am used to. I also do the two buckets, one automatic dishwashing liquid, the other bleach and water, one to sheet the milk out and suck through the machine and lines, the other to keep the mold down. I will see mold once in awhile in my air lines, but by using the bleach, rinsing well and hanging to dry with my fan blowing, no mold....that is reserved for lambar buckets :) Vicki