Milking machine question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feathers-N-Fur, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Feathers-N-Fur

Feathers-N-Fur New Member

Can you put 2 inflations for a mini and 2 inflations for a full sized doe on the same bucket? Can you then milk them both at the same time. We have never even used a milker before, but are strongly considering building one before we start milking again in Feb. We currently have 2 ND and 6 Full size does, so I was trying to figure out the best way to set up my buckets. I was thinking, if it would work that way, we could do 3 full size does and one ND at a time with 2 buckets. Thanks, Emily

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yep. Just don't put the ND shell on the full sized does. The shells are not long enough. Don't ask... :/
    Kaye

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

How ever I use my full sized on my mini's and even a ND

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

My machine has a set of mini inflations & a set of full sized. If I were to redo it, I'd have just the full sized inflations as I use them on both Nigerians & on La Manchas & now I can't milk 2 La Manchas at once. Even my little 1st fresheners with tiny teats do fine with the full sized inflations

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""""the full sized inflations as I use them on both Nigerians & on La Manchas """""

OK....so I see yaw say this all the time........but I'll be honest with you, either my ND's have really shorter than normal legs, or your full size inflations are much shorter in length than mine. In otherwords.....my long inflations often wind partially setting on the floor of the stand when I try to use them on ND's.
    Does this happen to you, or does it really matter if the inflations are kinda pushing up on the udder a little bit. ?

WHIM

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Whim, the inflations do end up wht the end lying partly on the stand but they don't seem to bother any other then one doe who is a little shorter & who tends to croutch when being milked....on her I prefer the mini inflation, but on everyone else it doesn't matter at all. I hook up my inflations from behind the does & while they are resting on the stand they don't puch on the udder... will find a picture

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Here's a picture- 2 of my Nigerian milkers , one with mini inflations & one with full sized

URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/txeyedoc/?action=view&current=milkers.jpg][​IMG][/URL]

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Thanks Pam

I've probably just read too much about how to try to match the size teat to the right sized inflations......and I guess I assumed that it made a bunch of difference in how well the inflations fit/set, in conjunction with the inflations working properly, and keeping a healthy udder/teats to boot.

Maybe it don't make that much difference since many of you do this, and it doesn't seem to cause problems.

WHIM

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin OH.....KEN!????

LOL...I've got a TALL Toggenburg milker that the normal 06 Delaval shells and inflations sit on the floor of the milkstand. Course it doesn't help that she insists on squatting and has a VERY LARGE udder. :sigh I also milk everyone from the rear and just push the shells/inflation toward the front legs.
    Kaye

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

YEA......where is Ken ? this is conversation is right down his alley.

WHIM

11. Well...I was told I need to read this thread and put my two cents into the subject.

The theory of matching the teat size and liner, goes basically with cattle liners. Since the clear "goat" liner come in two different sizes....mini and standard. SO, what choices you have in that field? The thing with matching also, goes into account that if you use "cattle" equitment that you have a big range of shell types and liners choices. So, you can match up what you milking with the type of liner that you are using. Take for example...Milk-Rite came out in 1998 with the Jersey style of liner. There are smaller bore, with shorter length, with just the milk port(black rubber below shell) being shorter. Everything else was the same as a small bore liner. The reason being is that jerseys when the udder drops, there is less room down below. So, to solve that problem they just shorten the liner. Know, go and tell a Jerseyman that...be prepared for a fight.

A claw and sit on floor without any undo effects. Since, the vaccum will stay the same, the pulsation will stay the same. All you are changing is the fact that you might get some Sh*t on the bottom of the claw. As far as milkout...you will not get the full milkout since they are not adding weight to the bottom of the udder. Then you have a little milk held up in the udder...most of the time that is not a problem at all. Just if you are anal about trying to get every little last 1/100 of an ounce out of them. Since, they will let down all the milk they have if you are using the proper prepping before milking.

You can just push the claw to the front, back, side where ever you want to put it at. That will just cause it to keep cleaner than in you set it right on the ground. But, a hint, if the teats point forward then go to the front. If they point back then push it to the back. That will align the liner with the oriface of the teat to have better milk out of hte doe.

Ken

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We milk goats so no sh*t on the milkstand or claw :)

I milked my even FF minimancha with my inflations/shells I use on my big does, and to be honest none of them had as small of teats as Mica. Her daughter who gets bred this next month who is 7 months old already has larger teats than mom :)

I also just cocked the inflations forward on my vertically challenged mini's, no biggy. Vicki

13. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I also use standard inflations, I actually use narrow bore cow inflations for the Toggs and Nigerians.

Ken in Idaho

14. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

So when ordering inflations for goats from partsdeptonline and you have the option between small to med or med to large is it safe to say that it really doesnt matter?

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The liners are different in goat shells. The small liners will not fit in the large shells. vice a versa...the shells are different sizes as are the inflations.

Hmmm...how to put this..? Ok, look at the vaccum port on the shell. If it points down...it's for the large inflations...if it points straight out...it's for the small inflations. I've already been there, tried that, ended up trashing the small inflations because I WAS NOT BUYING the small shells!

I solved all that crap by using the 06 SS shells and Milkrite TLC-D1. The does like it better and so do I.
    Kaye