Milking machine help. PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2Sticks, Jun 9, 2008.

1. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

My Dad bought me a milking machine as a gift, I have absolutely no idea how to use it. When I opened the box I was shocked at how big it was and left it sitting in the front room for a week. Who knew a surge bucket was so big!!! I finally got it out to the barn and there it sits. I need simple instructions on what to do with this thing. My hands are really hurting and I'd like to use it. Can someone tell me what to do? I don't even know if I'm supposed to put the bucket on the floor, a table or what. Please make it ultra simplistic, step by step. I let the size of it intimidate and now I won't even try it till someone tells me how. I really need help.

Tamera

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK first things first
    Is it all together?? do you have one set or two sets of hoses?? do you also have the pump that goes with it?? I have my surge bucket sitting on a cabinet but you can use it any where even on the floor. I will tell you that if you have a lot of does to milk you will want to dump the surge before it get full as is too heavy to pick up off the floor and pour when it is full. That is why mine is on a cabinet.
    Tell us this first and then we can help.
    but basically there is the pump with a hose running to the top of the surge bucket.
    then there is two hoses or 4 running from the surge abt 6 ft long with inflations and shells on the end. Hopefully you have shut off valves on it. First get you a 2 gal bucket of clorox and water and put the inflations in it open the shut off valves turn the pump on and it should suck up all the water out of the bucket. if that works then you are set to put those inflations on the teats, after you have dumped out all the clorox water.
    That is the simplest form of telling you how.
    Now if it isn't all hooked up and ready to go then we will start over.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Tam.......you may need to run down to Rett's for a quick look at hers.

I just couldn't get it in my head until I seen one of these things work.....now I'm like DUH!

Whim

4. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Sondra,
    It's complete, and is a 2 goat milker. Yes I also have the pump. The hoses have shut off valves. My milkstand is against a wall under a window. Do I need to move it and put everything on the opposite side or just hook it up on the side I would normally milk from? I pnlu have 5 does but there would be no way I could pick up that giant thing and dump it if it were full!

Whim,
    Your probably right and I need to go bother Rett (she's always so hospitable). Maybe I do need to see it in action to get it through my head what to do.

5. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

What a nice dad! Good luck.

Anne

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Take you can and lines with you. No use taking the motor they are all the same anyway and just hook up to your air line that goes to your lid.

Perhaps being brand new and Rett such a doll she wouldn't mind just hooking it up to her machine and milking a doe or two for you?

I hate the surge bucket also, when you have some spare change go on ebay and buy yourself a delaval can, they are pear shaped and come in 3.5 and 5 gallon sizes. Like Sondra I milk 4 does at a time and empty my can while they finish eating their grain! Mine sits on the cement on a plant stand with wheels so I can move it around easily.

Bring Rett lunch, flowers and some candy :) Vicki

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Aww.. you don't have to do that.
    I've been meaning to get up there Tamera. Seems there's always something going on here.

I'll give you a call tomorrow.. no use you bringing it here. Better to have it working at your place.

And your right Vicki... I hate those big ole things also. I have a Surge belly pan in the shed.. used once. (well, once by me) To big, to hard to clean.. and a pain in the royal to pick up.. the list goes on.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hubby had legs welded on mine and a drain in the bottom so now it sits on the counter over the sink and I just drain and strain the milk OH SO NEAT.

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm going to have to come visit you Sondra! I'd love to see how you have that set up! :)

10. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Vicki
    What's better about a delaval? I currently have a surge & milk 2 at once.....would everything hook up the same on a delaval?

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Pam just easier to handle as you know the surge is just plain heavy and bulky.
    Stacy COME ON!!

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

13. NubianSoaps.com

They hold the same or more than surgers, but the shape and handle on the body make them a snap to pour. You know darn well when you lift a surge it's a mens design....nobody with breasts would have ever designed that!!! :)

Lids are lids and they all fit all of them. None need their clamp down features anyway if your vacume is complete and your seal is in good shape.

Another one of those if you ever used a delaval style pear pail one time you would use your Surge like I do mine, as an ornament right along side my old alluminium one :) Vicki

14. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Vicki,
    Your right, Rett is sweet. She called me today and is coming over this evening to help me. I can give her some sweet tea but I'll have to go get her some candy and flowers and lunch will be on me whenever she wants! I'll let you know how we do.

Tamera

15. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Yep- I hate lifting that Surge & pouring...didn't know anything else would be better :). Will my same pulsator work on a delaval?

16. NubianSoaps.com

Your pulsator is on the lid, and any can will fit your lid :) In fact when I have a doe with colostrum I milk her into a tall stainless stewpot that my lid fits on, anything you can get your lid to seal on is a can. Vicki

17. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Well,
    Rett came over this afternoon and showed me how to use the machine. I appreciated her help so much and we had a great visit. I really learned alot from her while she was here. It was a much needed house call. Let me publicly say:

Thank you Rett for everything!

Tamera

18. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Oh.. it was my pleasure!!! :blush

BTW.... Tamera makes great iced tea!!! Not to mention Pineapple Upside Down Cake!!! ;)

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH CONGRATULATIONS!! Rett you are great!!
    Tamera now get those goats milked :)

20. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Maybe it's a guy thing, but I actually LIKE my surge belly pail. (ok, maybe it's a Nigerian thing, and the bucket doesn't look NEARLY as empty when using the Surge! :rofl)

Idaho Ken