Milking Logistics

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Apr 16, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Well, I don't know if you call it logistics or what, but here is my dilemma/question.

We used to rent a farm with a barn etc. Then when we bought our own place, it didn't have a barn or fencing but had a big "shed thingy". We put up some fencing and built small temporary shelters for the goats, chickens, horse. Unfortunately, the layout of where we eventually want the barn and put up the fencing is on the other side of our house to where the "shed thingy" is that I have to milk. (hope you all have a picture in your mind now)
    So, when it is time to milk, I have to take a goat out of the pen and walk her across the yard to "shed thingy" and milk and return her to the pen then get the next one. Usually, most of them are eager to go and are waiting and calling to be next. BUT, I have this one Nubian (6years old) who for some reason decided there is a big scary monster in there and refuses to go without a fight. Once she gets on the stand, she visibly shakes from fear. She is not cold, sick etc as she stops shaking when she is off and if I had a pair of skis on, could ski in the dew across the yard from her pulling me with the lead to get back to the pen. I have tried to think back but nothing has happened to her on the milk stand or anywhere for that matter to make her so scared, not in my human eyes anyway.
    The last two milkings I have brought all the does out and tied them next to the shed so she can see that no one else is scared. I let her walk on her own instead of trying to pull her across the yard. She stands away from us and very slowly inches up as I give the ones waiting some AF to keep them busy. That has helped, but I still have to bribe her with a pan of grain to get her to come remotely close enough to catch. Then she will only go on the stand with me leading her with one hand and holding onto her tail with the other.
    OK, I was thinking maybe I should get some panels and make a loafing area around the shed for the milkers to come as i am milking. I just need to make this easier and less time consuming for myself and maybe less scary for the princess. I milk around the weather too. And we all know how much goats love the rain!
    My question is...do any of you have any suggestions or maybe thoughts on why my goat would all of a sudden freak? And, any suggestions on improving my milking logistics?
    Sorry this is long and I hope I have made myself clearer than mud.
    Come on lottery! I need a barn!
    Thanks,
    Vicki in NC

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How about setting up a hoop house....3 cattle panels wired together then hooped up and covered with a tarp or metal, by their pen. Or...how about making another milkstand and milking them in pairs, maybe she would be less frightened if another goat goes with her, my goats hate being alone, I can't leave one doe in the pen with the others all milked and trapped out of the barn or with 4 up on the milkstand leave number 5 in her stall alone...well I can but the insueing racket makes it hardly worth it. Vicki

3. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

How long has this been going on? I had a FF this year who was just fine in the milk house at first, then something put her off and she was terrified. It lasted about a week and she is fine now. I milk in pairs and she was still freaked-I have no idea what caused it..but it seems like most things like that pass eventually. Vicki's hoop house idea is a good one, they can be quite comfortable-make your life easier by not having to trek..

4. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

This has been going on for about 4-5 days. I have been letting the others come and I tie them until their turn. That has helped some. We have a wind problem here because we are on the coast. I was wondering if that would be a problem with a hoop house.

Vicki Lynne in NC