Milking by machine...tips/advice???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

New machine came last Thursday, dh put it together and installed hot water heater Saturday. Going to try it out tonight. Any tips from those of you more experienced? It's the Hoegger 2 goat milker, will be just using 1 setup for now. Only 2 of the 6 milkers have seen a machine before....is it going to spook them? What's the best way to clean up...do you have to use their dairy soap or will TSC's work (Dairyland brand I believe)? Any input appreciated!!!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Never bothered any of my goats and for the most part none had ever seen/used/or heard a machine before. I do like Vicki have two large buckets set up. one with liquid dishwasher soap in it (no suds) which cuts the milk and then rinse with bucket full of 1/4 cup clorox to 1 gal water. have another bucket with same clorox mix to dip inflations in between does.
    run the soap one thru first , dump and run the clorox one thru tip bucket upside down to drain and hang inflations and hoses up to drain and dry. I keep a plastic bag over inflations just so no dust get in when hanging

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Beth, I've had my Hoegger machine for 2 years and still love the simplicity of cleaning it!! I put the buckets and the lids in the dishwasher, hand wash the gaskets, inflations and shells. From time to time, you will have to clean the hoses, should you overflow the bucket and back-up into the line, and the milk vapor will cause them to get dirty. No, you don't have to buy Hoegger's cleaning supplies. Your acid wash to clean off milkstone, can be purchased locally. I wash the gaskets and inflations in Dawn soap and add some Clorox. To clean the lines, just use Cascade dishwashing soap and hot water. Be sure to get you one of the cleaning brushes with long cable to run through hose.
    I've never had any of my goats rebel against the machine, they will get use to the noise of it very quickly. With goats, any new "monster" in their familiar surroundings is scary, but that will pass too. Happy milking!!!

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

So liquid dishwasher soap works to cut the milk? How much soap per gallon of water? The bleach water between goats...does that kill CAE and such? I milk my positive does last always but that is my biggest fear with the machine...that I will spread mastitis or CAE between does with it.

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Your thinking to much and making this hard. :lol I milk , strain milk rinse in cold water then soak with a squirt of dish soap and a splash of bleach. then I wash and set it to dry. Once a week or so I use vinegar or acid wash.

I do not rinse inflations between does. I have never {knock on wood} had mastitis and do not have any cae or cl positive does.

Patty

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know those milking a large herd don't do this, but all of us milking a few does......when hand milking if milk is on your hands don't you wash your hands before moving onto the next doe? Than why not swish your inflations between does, in dishwashing water, and then clorox water...let the group finish eating then continue on? Use that same water to clean your lines and bucket. No way am I going to run my dishwasher twice a day just to clean milk stuff, and my can wouldn't fit in my dishwasher anyway :) Vicki

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I don't even have a dishwasher :sniffle

I guess most of my not washing between is that I have a belly bucket so the inflations go right on the pan. Also I am lazy. I am sure if I get stung just once I will change but so far so good.

Patty

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Okay....everybody hates it. The goats I mean. Only the two old does (who were machine-milked before I bought them) came out on their own this morning. Everyone else had to be coaxed, pulled, or chased. BUT....seems to work well, got just as much milk as if I'd done by hand, and is very easy to clean. So I'm guessing it's just going to take them a few days to get used to it.

It would be hard to swish these inflations as they are, like Patty said, attached right to the belly bucket. They sent me a "sanitizing solution" that I'm supposed to spray into the inflations and shake out the excess, I'm assuming that's like the bleach water.

9. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We're going to finally use ours for the first time tonight - we're milking 5 now - it seems worth it.
    We just moved them into our new "milk parlor" yesterday-- they are still confused. Probably a good time to add the machine. :)