milking area... opinions welcome

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Good Goats, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Okay, we are thinking about cementing a room and making a milking area, with a 6 goat stanchion, that can be hosed down and sanitized. We don't sell milk, it's just for our family and friends, and have no plans to become a Grade A dairy at least anytime soon. Where do you all milk? And do you think it would be worth the cost and work to make a cleaner milking area? If we don't do it, then I'll be milking in a room with hard dirt floors that are swept everyday (which is what I'm doing right now). Any input??

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Sounds like a wonderful idea to me!

I love my milking area. It is enclosed and not open to the animals. It is heated and air conditioned. I have a cement floor with an 8 head cement stanchion. The stanchion itself was custom made by a company in Wisconsin. It automatically locks when a doe puts her head in. I can release one doe at a time or all 8 at once. I also have a 29 inch TV with Dish Network mounted above my stanchion so the girls and I can watch TV while milking. :)

We built our barn and milkroom to Grade A specs, but I am not inspected. It was done 'just in case'.

I always think the cleaner the better so yes, I recommend a new milkroom. :)

Sara

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I had no intention of going grade A either....just wanted a nicer milking area then the tarp covered cattle panel area I was milking in :). I ended up getting a carport from texascarports.com , had concrete poured with drains in the floor & graded so the water drains, got a handyman to finish out a room in it. It's heavenly to have it so easy to clean!Well worth the cost to me as it makes my life so much easier. I did get a grade A license as I met the requirements & figured I may as well. The yuppy area that I live in, people will pay more for having it grade A.

4. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

To me, if you are spending the money to build and put a floor in, I would build it like the state code says just in case you want to go certified and sell milk as a 6 goat stanchion is going to produce lots of milk and you may want to sell milk later and that part would be finished if you have a good forethought milking parlor plan .

5. Bethany

Bethany New Member

I think it would be totally worth the costs. I'm planning on building a milk room in the spring..and I know it will be worth the investment. LOL just having it heated and air conditioned would make it worth it for me! :D

Right now I just have a concrete area in our barn, it can be hosed down, but it's not walled off from the rest of the barn...which I don't really like.

6. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Thanks for all of the replies! Does anyonw know where to find the Oklahoma laws for becoming a grade A dairy (Bethany, do you know?)?

7. chewie

chewie New Member

wow, you guys inspire me! our new property, which we should be in by next spring or early summer, has a nice barn with a cement stall area--i never thought about walling it off, but that would really be nice. and a pressure washer is the first 'want' on my list! if anyone would like to post photos, those are very helpful as well.

sara, a TV??? no way! you made me giggle!

8. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Sara, I am soooo jealous...your set up sounds awesome! I too need to build a milk room...you should post pics.

Paula

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Sara, your milk room sounds awesome. :D Dish TV. What spoiled goaties.
    I have a friend who used to have a grade A dairy. Her milk parlor is a mobile home which was converted to a milk parlor. She has a 10 goat stanchion and local TV in the milk room. You have to turn on the TV to make the goats calm. What I really like about her setup is the double restaurant style sink in the adjacent room. It's always a pleasure to help her milk. At my place, we have a large garage with a dirt floor. I have a one goat stanchion along with grain storage, a fridge and freezer. The cars and trucks live outside. No heat or AC. I use a fan in summer. We rent. If I owned the place, I'd like to put in a cement floor. The goats get grain on the dirt floor and it's harder to keep clean than a cement one would be. Kathie

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would go with the cement floor We just built a new milk room not only did we not build it big enough we decided not to cement but to go with a wood floor and tile as was much cheaper and quicker for us. Now in hind site we are regretting not putting in cement.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I believe with your laws being that you can legally sell 100 gallons a month off your farm each month without being grade A that you would be hard pressed to find legal dairies.

I swept dirt floors for years, I love my cement! Vicki

12. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

A floor drain is a must. We have our milk room airconditioned because of the summer heat. We don't worry too much about heating the barn because it doesn't get too cold - an electric heater suffices if one is needed. A lavatory to wash hands, buckets and other equipment - a water heater is a must. Lots of things to think about!

13. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

We are not grade A but we do have a concert floor which I would not go without. I should have the 3 compartment stainless steel sink installed this weekend so I will try to get some more pictures.

I will only have a 4 stanchion as I think 6 would be a lot to manage unless you have other people helping.

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

This is why I built my new barn after I had owned goats for awhile. I milk 2 at a time on my 8-head stanchion and it is very easily managed. The goats have plenty of time to eat while they are milked and I can get all the does milked in the least amount of time as possible. I take fewer groups to the milking parlor thus saving a ton of time. :)

Just wait Troy, you are going to make a few changes once you are actually set up with a herd of milking does. :)

I have photos of my stanchion but I need to upload them before I am able to post... that will have to wait until I get home from the office.

Sara

15. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

Hi all,

My husband and I have been working on our new barn. It has big kitchen, milk room, feed room, foyer. Foyer was my idea, and demand. It gives my customer's a place to pick up their milk, without going through my kitchen. They can't get into the feed room or milk room, or kitchen, without me. My husband liked the idea of locking the feed room, so he could put some of his tools in.
    Our rooms all have concrete floors, with the milk room having drain, and washable walls. We have been working on this for 2 months. In the middle of taping drywall right now. Later down the road, I would like to have something put down in the kitchen.
    My husband promised to have me in the new barn by the time babies start arriving in Jan.
    We have room also in this barn to have my pens also.
    So yes, have concrete floors. Saves time and cleaning

Good Luck
    Deb

16. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Oh I know you are so right Sara. I am sure I will find a million things that drive me crazy! I just hope I can rework the barn to make things good. I am pretty handy so even if I have to change things to where the barn does not look as pretty but more functional that is what I will do although it may kill me inside. :biggrin

I swear I have OCD some of the time. :help2

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Here's my 8-head milking stanchion. This photo was taken soon after we moved in and before the TV and Dish Network were installed. The TV is mounted above the stanchion on top of the cabinets. :) Christy's kids thought it was pretty cool to be able to watch Sponge Bob while milking. :lol

[​IMG]

Sara

18. Terry

Terry Member

19. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

..........Ditto. That would be my thoughts too. It wouldn't cost that much more to do it by code.