Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the milk withholding time after using Ivermectin? I tried to search the archives and didn't seem to find anything? You can PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Right or wrong....I use 5 days as a withdrawal. I figure by this time and a goat's metabalism your down to the carrier rather than the drug itself.
Kaye

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Per Saanendoah it says 6 days.
FARAD recommends a meat WDI of 14 days for up to 0.4 mg/kg (0.18mg/lb) per os. These calculations assume that the kinetics of ivermectin are linear. The milk WDI would be 6 days based on a study by Scott et al,8 that demonstrated that at 6 days, goats' milk was clear of the drug after an oral dose of 0.2 mg/kg. Based on this information, oral administration up to 0.4 mg/kg will require a milk WDI of at least 8 days in dairy goats.

Subcutaneous route in goats-Ivermectin was detected up to 25 days in milk from lactating goats given 0.2 mg/kg SC.2 There were no differences between plasma and milk pharmacokinetic variables, and the milk:plasma AUC ratio was 1.08, as stated earlier. The elimination half-life was 4 days for plasma and milk, and it would take 40 days (10 half-lives) to eliminate 99% of the drug via milk when administered by this route. Limited tissue residue data from an NRSP-7 study10 provided an ERH of 4.34 days (ke = 0.1594 days-1) in fat, which is the slowest depleting tissue. Application of our algorithm resulted in a WDI of 22 days. As this FARAD estimate is less than the cattle WDT, and there were limited available data, we recommend the cattle WDT of 35 days for an extra margin of safety.

·
Registered
218 Posts
They give Ivermectin to people in countries where many parasites affect humans. I think the 5 day would be plenty - if you even need to do that.
The Ivomec Eprinex has no withdrawal time for milk.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
We make cheese and I don't recall Ivermectin interfering with the process...but we do most of our worming here when the does first kid and we're using the milk for the kids. We've actually drank our goats' milk after worming them and it hasn't hurt us. I think alot of that withholding stuff is for the commercial industry and is mostly put out by the companies to cover their butts in case someone would be highly allergic to the stuff. I am careful to pull any doe receiving antibiotics off the milk bucket that is for human consumption for several days following treatment.
Kathie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts