Milk Veins

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

A few of my does have really large milk veins ..the size of my thumb in thickness.

How will this , if at all effect them being shown ? is it a sign of dairy character ?

I myself hate it . when I shave them I am always scarred I will cut it and they will bleed to death.

Patty

2. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I don't know this for sure, but I don't think it matters. I have never personally had a judge bend down and feel on the milk veins.

Wendy

3. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

It is a GREAT thing. It shows dairy character and it also shows their will to milk. Never had any problem clipping them as they are well below the skin. Sometimes if time alows we will clip them tight as to really show them off.
    Mary

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat Mary's absolutely right! I'd rather have a doe with large milk veins...The bigger the better. I will close clip those veins before showing. ;)

LOL...trust me, unless you are using a razor, you won't cut them.
    Kaye

5. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I guess I was totally wrong. Don't think I won't be checking those things out in the morning!! I still have never noticed a judge feeling/looking at them. I guess when shaved they can be seen better. Thanks for the tip and asking the question.

Wendy

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol When you're standing back from them...like a judge...you can clearly see them. Especially when (we that are proud of them) surgically clip them.
    Kaye

7. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Are you saying that you use the 40 blade on udder and keep clipping on up? I've always just shaved them the same as the body.

Wendy

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yep. I'll surgically clip them. Just the veins...not the whole stomach.
    Kaye

9. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thanks for the secret! I'll be sharpening that 40 on up!

Wendy

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

:biggrin

OK now I am going to freak out shaving those darn things...I mean they are really rea;;y big . You do not need to bend to see or even to touch them to know they are there. I can see them thru long winter goats.

OK off I go to panic til I am done.

Thanks , Patty