Milk Testing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Jul 13, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I didn't want to hijack Janie's thread but I was interested in finding out where one could send milk samples in Texas, for testing if you aren't Grade-A. Is there an independent lab out there that will do this?

2. nappint

nappint New Member

Here's the link for the Ft. Worth lab - it's the lab that the inspectors in this area use. I'm not sure if there is one closer to you.

http://www.tarrantcounty.com/ehealth/cwp/view.asp?A=763&Q=430545

I've not used them yet but I did speak with a lady in the lab. They test milk for individuals, they'll try to talk you into ALL of the tests but you can pick and choose. You have to take the milk to them as soon after milking as possible and call them the morning you are coming so they can be ready for you. They test milk Monday through Wednesday - if I remember right and results will be ready the following Friday or Monday.

HTH :)

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Geeze, you can't mail it? it takes me about 3 hours to get to Ft. Worth.. :/

4. nappint

nappint New Member

3 hours?! You probably don't even want to talk about the cost of gas to get there :( They told me I had to keep it on ice and get it there ASAP or I would run the risk of inaccurate results.

Maybe there is a lab somewhere in East Texas. I guess you could try calling the Department of Health - they may have a list of labs.

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yea, 3 hours.. sad, isn't it? I'm going to call the # on the link and see if they might know of a lab that's closer to me.. thanks!

6. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Langston is in OK and they do my milk test. I send the samples in a bottle that has a small pill to preserve the milk.

Jolene

7. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

There used to be a lab in Dallas called Pope Laboratory - you might check it out.

OK Stacy, here's their website:
    http://www.popelabs.com/

8. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

If you look on the ADGA website under DHIR it willl list the lab to use for your area. The lab will send you vials with a pill in them, I think that the pill helps preserve, or somehow sets up the milk to be tested. You can mail them in to the lab, no problem. I have supervised a one day milk test on Saturday, been unable to refridgerate all the milk until I got home and then mailed it in on Monday, never a problem. In fact, once I woke up on the Monday with a killer of a migraine and the lab told me not to worry, just keep it in the fridge until; I can mail it and as long as it is in the mail within 4 days it would be fine. Most labs prefer you mail via UPS, and advice that it is perishable. My lab here in TN charges $1.00 per vial.

Paula

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Hey Stacy, did you get in touch with Pope Labs in Dallas? I put their website address in my previous post.

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

No Janie, I haven't yet.. too much going on getting ready to leave, but I will as soon as we get back.. ok, I guess I'll have to wait till next monday. :)