Milk test basics

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Apr 12, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I would very much appreciate anyone who can explain or send me to a website other that ADGA (I do understand better when things are written in English! LOL) that can expalin th eoptions and how to do milk tests. A "Milk Test for Dummies" approach, if ya know what I mean!

I need a scale, Hambys seems to have a decent certifiable (like me!) scale for about $45 bucks. I was reading on the Lanston site last night they have a program where you can watch a video, take a test and get certified (theres that word again) to be a test technician (is that the right term, or is it examiner?).

I do get confused about one day tests. Is your doe eligable for a star from only one day tests? What about keeping records, do you need to keep daily records and just get a tester there once a month? theres several of us near here who could help each other out if we were examiners. And it really would help to have the milk itself tested so we know which animals are high in butterfat as cheesemaking is definitely an interest. Not to mention the data is great when youre serious about herd improvement and eventual sales of milkers and breeding stock.

Lanston apparently does the milk testing. But no matter how hard I looked, I couldnt find a web page that explained how to sign up for the certification or how to get your milk testing done. I think their website is tough to find things on. The ADGA stuff on it seems to sorta make sense but then I just cant keep it straight (early Oldtimers maybe???LOL) If its in 101 I'm missing that too... so strike 3 and I'm begging for help from you guys so I can understand this better!

My friend is doing her does one day milk test next month. That includes my doe Doras mother Dinah. The grandam is supposed to be a star milker, so if Dinah gets her star, and Dora tests out OK, that should make her a 3*M at least, right? I need to find out what the granddam was registered as.

2. Nancy

Nancy New Member

If you sign up for milk test with ADGA they will send the info. You can get a scale at Orscheln, it is the same one I bought from Hoeggers or Caprine supply and it is $39.95. We test through Langston. We send our scale there every year to be certified. Our tester comes once a month and records weights of milk and gets samples to send to Langston. My dd and I are also both certified as testers. You can call Eva at langston and she can send the info to be a tester. If you can get others to get certified you can get yours on test. You just can't test each others.
    We're still new to testing but it is really neat to know the info on how our girls do. They aren't really big milkers but all we had on were able to earn their stars. I don't know if some of them would have on a one day test. I think a one day test they need to milk like 10 lbs? I'm not sure so someone else needs to answer that. Our ff only milked about 2600 lbs for the year but she still wouldn't have made it on a one day test. For Dora's grandam look on adga it will show if she earned her star.

3. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks Nancy! My friend Lisa (I think she met you when she got her Alpine) is also intereested in getting certified. Might as well get it done now and be ready for when we have more does milking next year. I really appreciate the info on who to contact. And on the scale at Orschlens, thats a big help. I'm really looking forward to getting to meet some of our local DGI'ers one of these days!

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You do know you all could also get together and have a one day milk test at your farm? Now do go through the rules, because it isn't a normal milker who gets her star on a one day milk test. To add up to the points needed she has got to be a superior milker...it is much easier to get your star on DHIR for the year....well eaiser in that it costs money and is really perserveance milking through the summer and fall.

Certainly there is someone already on test in your area, or a Pat Faucett like Texas has who does one day milk tests, verification programs and runs the program to become a tester?

And a phone call to ADGA usually answers all your questions. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well LOTS OF LUCK getting thru to Langston I tried for two years /calling/emailing and got zip answers
    I went thru Pat Faucett and can't remember who actually gave the class here with A&M and got certified but I don't have anyone close to come test my goats so am not on test.

6. LMonty

LMonty New Member

no problem with Langston, I called 405-466-6207 and Eve answered the phone and shes sending the video and paperwork. Told me where to send the scale, and with Nancys input now I know where I can get one locally. I went out to work withthe goats and didnt get back in in time to call ADGA so I still need to do that. Well, I didnt figure a one day test would work well for me with a FF. Dinah just might make it though, guess I'll know next month. But hopefully we can get this all figured out and be ready to do the full test next year. I appreicate all the input.There area few people on test in the area, but I havent gotten a chance to meet them all yet. Theres a local show coming up in a few weeks, hoping to make it to that and finally meet some local folks then. I'm reallly looking forward to it.