Milk silk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hamilton40, Jul 27, 2008.

1. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Has any one else heard of this.
    Maybe I am behind the times. I was looking around on the internet for something and ran across this. It is a company in Canada that is putting a gene from a spider in a goat egg to get the goat to produce silk to make fishing line, fish nets, and armored vest along with other things. It is a very long artical but pretty interesting. I thought some of you might like to read it so I am posting a link to it.
    Clay

http://www.organicconsumers.org/patent/spidersilk061702.cfm

2. Rose

Rose New Member

I did a search on milk silk and found this.

"No need to cry over spilt milk! Make yourself a t-shirt or a scarf instead.

The eco-friendly world is demanding new fabrics. To meet the demand, Cyran, a Chinese company, has been producing fabric made from milk. The result is a velvety soft fabric that rivals the highest silk quality and feels luxurious on the skin.

To create the fiber, liquid milk is dried and its proteins extracted. The separated proteins are then dissolved in a chemical solution and placed in a machine that essentially whirls the fibers together. The fibers can then be spun into yarn and woven into fabric. The process has been around since World War I, but the cost to produce milk fiber was so high that the fabric never became popular. Advances in technology have reduced the cost, but the process remains expensive. A T-shirt or a scarf begins at a $110."

3. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I don't think this is the same process. This company is putting a gene from a spider in a goat egg.
    Clay