Milk scale

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Mar 19, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I was using a little 5 lb "food scale" from WalMart; not accurate, but good enough for home records. It was lost in a building fire last Sunday. :sniffle I would like something more accurate, digital would be great, that I could put the milk pail on to weigh the milk each time. I have the "hanging dairy scale" in the barn but it seems to be a little inaccurate, too. Every time I hang something, I get a different weight as it can be in different places on the hanging hook. :/ (does that even make sense?) That is why I would like to have a platform scale instead.

What scales are acceptable for milk test (DHIR)? I guess if I'm going to get a good one, I ought to get the right one!

2. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Oh, forgot to ask...

How do you have your scale callibrated and certified (?) as in for milk test?

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

A friend of mine uses a postal scale (digital) she bought off e-bay.?? on price. Her local post office certified it for her. You can send a hanging scale to either Langston ($?) or Heart of America ($8.00) to have it certified...or this past year I took mine to Convention and had it certified (free) during the tester training. Hey, I was there, had some free time and wasn't sure my DHIA was having tester re-certification, so I did both at the same time. ;)

I "think" Oden uses a digital hanging scale...but not sure where he bought it. Maybe, he will post where.
    Kaye

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I got a digital fishing scale at Dicks Sporting goods- works great, got it calibrated for DHI & it was only $20

5. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I use the regular old dairy scale (mine is a Polouse brand I think). The digitial fish scales work great tho. Walmart sells a Berkley digital fish scale for under $20.

6. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Langston will calibrate and certify your scales for you.. free of charge if you are using them for your test lab.
    All you have to send them is the scales and shipping fee back to you.

One thing to note.. as I just figured this out when I went on test, if you are using weight scales.. such as the hanging fish scales.. they weigh in pounds and ounces. The dairy scales weigh in 1/10 increments. Not sure how most labs are.. but Langston wants milk weights in 1/10 of pounds.. not 16th of a pound.
    Doesn't sound like much.. but over a lactation.. it would add up.

I use the fish scales... digital.. for everyday use.. and we have a dairy scale that is used on milk test day. The owner uses it to test another person.. leaves the scale with that person.. they then use it to test the next person. until it returns back to the original owner.. who has the test done last. (Round Robin I think that is called)

7. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thanks...clear as mud! :) I have the hanging dairy scale but the bottom hook is flat instead of round and it seems to be off depending on where you hand the bucket. So, if I hang an empty bucket and use the "tare" knob, then takeit off and hang it back on the scale again, it won't weigh the same as the first time. :/ That's why I'd like something digital and non-hanging.

8. Katarina

Katarina New Member

walmart fish scale from the hunting and fishing department.

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

They do want it in 10's of pounds, but it is pretty easy to convert- we have a chart & just look at it. Sure was a lot cheaper then a dairy scale to get the fishing one!

10. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

(1,2,3,4,5....counting on fingers) Where would I get one of those converters???

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Susie,
    Can you replace the flat hook with an S hook off one of those rubber tarp straps? Then it will read the same every time. Mine has the round S hook.??

:rofl at Rhett! First one that I bought...I didn't pay attention and it was in ounces...had to turn right around and order another one. Lucky, in that DH needed one at the shop...so he got my uh,oh!
    Kaye

12. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

13. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

"Can you replace the flat hook with an S hook off one of those rubber tarp straps? Then it will read the same every time. Mine has the round S hook"

What? So simple?! Couldn't be! :) I'll try it!

14. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Thanks for the chart!!! I was running out of fingers and toes :crazy