Milk question.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I have a question about frozen milk.
    I don't know just where to post this question so.

I have a freezer full of frozen milk that I had frozen near the end of milking season so I would have milk to use through the winter like I always do but this year it is all separating so I can't use it as planned.

Anyway, I was ask by someone that also has this problem this year if the stuff that rises can be used to make butter as it is obviously the butter fat rising.

I have never tried it so don't know.
    Have any of you tried to make butter or at least cheese from this so it is not all chicken feed?

Feel free to move this if you see fit. It won't hurt my feelings. :D

I would assume that I should toss the stuff that settles to the bottom.

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Hmmm whir it in a blender...

you can still cook with it... and you could use it to pasteurize and feed babies...

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I always whip it with a stick blender it is just fat molecules that have separated so whipping it puts them back in but yes you could make chees don't have a clue as to butter.

4. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I've wondered the same thing - if you could take the separated milk fat and make butter. When I make butter, I freeze the cream for a few weeks (sometimes months) so it will separate into butter and buttermilk faster when agitated. If you try it, let us know what results you get.

5. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

yes I have wondered the same thing please do let us know if you try it

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If I were going to try this for butter I would let it sit a day or so unfrozen then skim off the cream to make the butter and make kefir out of the rest.