Milk production

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dmeiermom, Apr 23, 2014.

1. dmeiermom

dmeiermom New Member

I have 2 does that are about 18 months old and delivered one kid each in January 2014. I don't know anything about their lineage other than they were bought from a dairy in Oklahoma.
    These 2 does are producing about 1 quart each per day. All my other girls are producing 1/2 gallon to 1+ gallons per day.
    A professor at my daughter's university said that if the doe only has one kid on 1st breeding he sells them....
    I respect the opinions that I've read on this forum, they've been sensible and down to earth. So, should I keep milking these 2 does & breed them again in the fall before deciding to sell them...OR...is this as good as it gets for these 2 ?? Since I don't know their genetics how can I tell?

2. lovinglife

lovinglife New Member

How old are your other goats? Keep milking them and breed this fall. They should be better next year. Last year my FF had one kid, she milked 1 1/2 quarts a milking and this year had twins and is well over half a gallon each milking. Also what are you feeding? Wait, did you mean one quart each milking or each day? That might change my mind, especially if you are milking twice a day. Are the kids weaned? Did you milk with kids on? That all makes a difference, one kid would probably not keep production up.

3. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

I would cut them a little slack since it is their first time and and they went through a move. Something else to consider would be to make sure they do not have subclinical mastitis. That can be rampant in a dairy and can affect milk production but doesn't make the animal sick.

4. dmeiermom

dmeiermom New Member

The kids were bottle fed. I milked 3xs daily for the 1st month and than go to 2xs daily. At first they were giving 25 to 30 ounces at each milking, now it's about 20 ounces per milking so less than 1 quart per day total.
    I will check for subclinical mastitis. I do the CMT regularly & haven't noticed any issues.
    I bred them with my buck about 2 months after I got them.

5. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

Ok. So they are bred back? It is entirely up to you of course, but if they were mine I would keep them, freshen them again and see what happens. Also make sure they are getting plenty of alfalfa or alfalfa pellets, high quality loose minerals and a little grain. With an appropriate diet, they should be able to produce at least a gallon or so as second fresheners.

6. sydneyjd

sydneyjd Banned

What type of goats are these two?

7. Rose

Rose New Member

I'd give them another year and another kidding.

8. ElLomah

ElLomah New Member

First fresheners will most always milk less - does that kid out with singles also tend to milk out less then those that had twins or more. FF are more likely to kid out with singles or twins - their bodies are still growing and they can't really produce much more. Don't believe the myth that if a doe has a single she will always have singles. A doe that has repeated single births is most always related to malnutrition, or something lacking in the mineral department. If I like the does I will give them until their 3rd freshening to prove themselves in the milk pail.