Milk Production question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

I have a FF that is 10 days fresh. Today I got a total of 2 lbs. That's the most ever.

I'm very frustrated. She has small teats and takes forever to milk.

I'm planning to cull hard this year and wondering how much time to give her to up her production b4 I decide to send her to the butcher.

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Don't give up yet. Mine is about 12 days fresh. She is a FF. She is producing little but is getting better. Her tiny teats are growing every day too. I notice that they get a little bigger after every tightening up before she is milked. She is Alpine.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Does she have some capacity to her udder or is it full when you do milk out that 2 pounds? I have kept a 4 (on test:) pounder before, but she had lots of room in that empty udder :) She is now a really good milker at 6 and was a really good milker her second lactation. Vicki

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Is this Laurel's kid? If so, she should improve in production this year and do fantastic as a two year old. That dam line is one of my best where production is concerned and her sire is descended from Vicki's buck, GE and from what I've read on this forum, that is a milky line as well. Kathie

5. Truly

Truly New Member

After I milk her you can hardly tell she has an udder.

She is extremely tight when it is time to milk her. Her udder appears to be at full capacity, and that is very small.

That is why I am asking. Do you think there's any hope?

6. Truly

Truly New Member

Kathie, yes this is Laurels' kid. Laurel didn't take nearly this time to "grow" her udder.

I'm glad to hear of good milking lines, but if she can't produce I just can't keep her and I wouldn't feel right selling her as a milker.

7. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I had a FF last year that only did 3lbs tops...but she had a single and I knew she had more potential this year she is milking 8lbs and increasing. My FF out of my heaviest producing doe also had a single this year and her production is pitiful! I get tested this week but I"m betting it's in the 3lb range...she will stay until next year..Seems like anytime my ff have a single kid I really can't make a judgment call. How many kids did this doe have?

8. NubianSoaps.com

If you don't let her stretch that udder out she can't hold more. I know that sort of goes against the grain of some, but if you give your FF a couple of stretching days, missing morning milking, but watching the udder like a hawk for too full of teats. You don't want it so full you can loose attachment, but if you keep it empty twice a day, she can only hold that 12 hours worth of milk. Does she leak at all when ready to be milked? Vicki

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Lois.........I'm always reminded of what Barb V. said to me one time about a FF the she had. She said that this FF had a poor output, and that she was gonna cull her...but the deal fell through, and she wound up keeping her until her next freshening. I think she will tell you, that it was one time that she was glad a deal fell through. Her 2nd freshening was a huge improvement over the first, and she said to me that the doe became one of her best milkers.

Whim

10. Truly

Truly New Member

She had one doeling. Tis interesting that they (or their bodies) know they don't need to make as much.
    She is not leaking although she does feel very tight. I will skip one milking and see what happens.

Of course, this AM she looked bigger. She must have known I posted about her. :/ Looking bigger didn't equal much more in the pail tho. 1.2lbs this AM.

11. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Just wondering if the "skip a milking" method worked for you?

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I am doing just that with a FF also Lois and I will keep her until after 2nd freshening then make my decision she just has too much potential not to do so. Pain in the butt milking and not getting much but am going to continue and milk her thru.

13. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

"letting her stretch"....does that have to be done right after freshening?? Is a month after freshening too long to wait to do that? My does are Dam raising and All my FF had twins...big, healthy eaters...no time for those udders to ever stretch.

Paula

14. Truly

Truly New Member

I did skip a milking to stretch a bit. Ultimately I end up with less milk for the day tho.

She is up to 2 lbs per milking now. Highest ever; 2.3. Not great, but if she scores well in LA I may keep her to see how she does next year.

15. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Same here! I skipped last nights milking, and her udder was larger this morning...but, I did not get that much more milk...and tonight I got a lot less than normal.

P

16. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

I have a question..sorta! My thoughts on this are: do you compare them to your other FF as far as who to keep in your bloodlines?? I know they usually improve with their 2nd-3rd freshenings. But, how long do you wait and feed em? Why not cull it over a FF that is excelling in comparison?? What if I want my next generation to freshen well rather than wait a few years for a decent ammt of milk? I guess my question is what I am promoting by waiting for a long time, is that what her kids are going to be like?? I have 2 ff at my house this year. One is a 1 year old FF, large in size, very deep, had trips and is giving me a gallon a day, with lots of extra skin for next year. My other is a 2 year old FF, small stature, had twins and peaked at little over 1/2ga. Now my thoughts are to keep the FF that is better. Not compaired to a 3 y.o doe, but compared to my other FFs. Why not expect a FF to do better than 2lbs?? I may be milking more for family use, but that is exacly why I dont want an animal that is too slow to mature (not that I want them to be too fast either, that can worse in the long run), as it is more economical for me to have an animal that produces a usable amount of milk in one year, rather than feed it two or three years first.
    So, not that made any sense to anyone but me!!LOL But those are my thoughs/questions on the subject!
    Patina

17. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I look over my yearling FF's, I consider more than how much milk they put in the pail. I also look at mammary attachment and general appearance. A FF that had triplets usually going to make more milk than a doe who had twins or a single. With Nubians, I've had does who didn't give much milk as yearlings, especially those who had singles. They went on to give over a gallon a day as second fresheners. If all you're looking for out of your goats is milk, it may make sense to keep your heaviest milkers as FF. If you are looking to breed show quality animals, a lower producing yearling with a nicer mammary may be the better way to go. Kathie

18. NubianSoaps.com

Nobody can help you with this because everyones goals on their farm are different. A yearling milker who is milking a gallon or a 2 year old FF who is milking 2 quarts...a no brainer it would seem for someone living off a milk check who to keep and who to keep daughters out of and who to send down the road. But....since not all of this is genetics, is the 2 quarts due to other things? Fat in her udder now? Or is this udder higher, tighter and up in the body more and she will milk more each year, catch up to the young milker and still have excellent attachments at 7?

For myself there is a whole lot more to figure out in FF on who to keep and who to sell than just milk amounts. Vicki

19. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat Good points Vicki and Kathie!
    Here I consider a yearling FF as getting the worst behind us! Training, production started, just in general getting that doe ready to be a "milk goat". Horrible udders regardless of production= outa' here! It ain't gonna' get better with more milk! ;)

I've always wished we could just skip FF and go right into a full-blown 2nd freshener with production. Just wishing.
    Kaye

20. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Sorry, in my previous post all type issues were assumed. I want good all around goats so udder quality (and overall type) is a must as well. But if I was comparing two FF with of similar quality I would excuse the one who isnt milking as much as her equal competition. So I agree, it is all in what you want for your own herd. Cull for the goats you want to breed!