Milk Machines - Do you strain or Filter?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Those who use milk machines, do you strain or filter your milk after milking?

What process do you use from the time the milk is in the bucket to the time that it is put in the fridge ready for consumption?

thanks much!

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yes, but only when the milk is for human consumption. If it is to be pasteurized and fed to kids I do not filter/strain the milk.

Sara

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

With clean teats and clean infaltions there is really nothing to filter, but I do strain the milk for sale, not for the family and not for kids. vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

5. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

thanks for your input. I am trying to accumulate a list of neccessary equipment.

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I do filter it, I don't clip my does' udders so once in a while a hair or two gets in there.

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I dont clip teat or udder hair and I use a natural coffee filter sandwiched in the middle of 2 plastic nylon strainers ,it's easy,it work's for me and I dont sell milk but I have not used this method for over 3 doe's that produce almost 3 gal. total of milk per day and the coffee filter is slower to strain thru .

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I filter everything as soon as I get the milk to the house. I used coffee filters last year, but bought some milk (Agrilabs 6 1/2") disk filters this year from Jeffers. The milk really goes through them much better. ....and I use two funnels ($1 a piece) bought in the food section at walmart to place my filter down in. Both funnels bought are just alike. I cut one of them about half off, and use it as the top ring that holds the filter in place. The whole funnel is the bottom piece. I can use this to filter/pour into from the size of a milk jug, to as big as a wide mouth 1 gallon jar.
    Those funnels must be about 4 to 4 1/2 in in diameter out the mouth. When cut right...with filter installed between them, you should be able to see about 3 inches of the filter exposed for milk to flow through.
    You may have to play with this idea some.....I didn't get it right on the first try.

Whim

Sorry....I can't think of the term that is used for furniture and stuff that will stack perfectly one piece inside of another....but that's the idea of the funnel thing......I'll ask my wife when she gets back home.....she'll know, she knows everything. :peepwall

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Yep.....the term I was looking for is NESTING..... :duh

Whim

10. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Thanks Whim and others! It looks like I will be buying a SS filter.