Milk Machine ???'s (pic added)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Apr 22, 2008.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I need to know if when you set up a milker...like with a 1/4 milker, and you use the Y to split the pulsator line......do you plug off the other pulsator port when in operation ?

In other words, does both ports on the pulsator have to be hooked up to something, before the pulsator will work properly.

I'm making my milker, much like the one on this Hamby's set up.....but I can't see if anything is plugging the left port.....or if it is left open.

Thanks, Whim
    http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1071&cat=18&page=1

OK...that link looks to be a little screwy on my end.......It's under Hamby's web site.......sheep milkers, and is about the 3rd product down "1 goat poly bucket milker 2 gallon size"

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Re: Milk Machine ???'s

:biggrin Thanks Chris.......but no, you are still using both sides of a 4 port outfit, just blocking the 2 in the center is all. From what I can see, you still have a tube from each side of the pulsator going to each inflation.
    From what I can see on Hamby's set up, they are using 1 tube from the pulsator, and then splitting it with a Y to go to each inflation. Same set up at the bucket with the milk lines too. They are forming a cluster at the shells and inflations.

I do like your set up though.......it's just a little big for my 1/2 pints right now. ;)

Thanks, Whim

4. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

The milker in the picture has no pulsator to it. If you read into it they say:

"You will need a stallcock (D), vacuum gauge (E), pulsator (P), PVC vacuum line (1 inch schedule 40 DWV recommended) and vacuum supplier (not shown) to make a complete milking system."

What type of pulsator are you using a 2 port or 4 port? If you have a 2 port system use both ports even if your only milking 1 goat at a time. If you have a 4 port system like in an old surge pulsator then plug the inner 2 ports by wrapping a hose from one to the other. Then just use the outer 2 ports. If your going to set it up to milk 2 at a time in a 4 port system then you would use all 4 ports. Milking 2 goats at the same time with a 2 port pulsator is when you would use the Y splitter up just before the you get to the inflations.

Ok I missed the pulsator in the picture. It looks like their using a 2 port interpulse pulsator. If thats the case you would have to plug the 2nd port as a pulsator will not work if it can suck air in which it would it the pulsator's second port was not plugged.

Ray

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Thanks Ray....I kinda thought that the other port on the pulsator was being plugged off. .....and yes, I'll be hard mounting my pulsator similar to what they show in this pic at Hamby's. I realize that I could just hook up both the ports, and run each line to each inflation......but was trying to cut out as much tubing as possible in all area's.....This is mostly for having a less to cleanup thing.

Whim

6. coso

coso Guest

I never cleaned my airlines out any way they don't get milk up in them.

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Can I assume that if I just use one side of the pulsator, that I will not be alternating milk draws from one teat to the other, but will be pulling from both at the same pulse rate...at the same time.

......and no, I don't plan on cleaning my vacuum lines very often either. I'm mostly just making an effort to keep this thing short, light weight, and simple as possible.
    I think once I get it working properly, that I will see how to even make it simpler. My mini inflations and pulsator should be here tomorrow or thursday........I hope to be up and running by this weekend.

Just as a note.......if the pulsator don't work well using just one side and mounted on the wall, then I plan to mount it just under the edge of my milk stand, and use both sides.....one side to each inflation.

Do you think that would work ?

Whim

8. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

That should work but remember if your not mounting to a bucket somehow your going to need to plug the bottom of the pulsator as well as it sucks air from bottom of the pulsator as well as the 2 ports

Ray

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Got it covered.......I bought the mounting adaptor that adapts it to the vacuum line. My next decision will be whether to stop my main vacuum supply line at the wall behind my stand ( to the rear ) , or actualy run it on under my stand in an effort to keep all my flex lines short as possible. I could see where mounting some of this stuff under my stand would place them where they would be less likely to be damaged by them "I didn't do it this time" goats. A placed my main vacuum shut off valve on the wall behind the stand, and so far, every time that I go out there, the valve position has been moved from all the way on, to all the way off. Maybe I should inbreed this bunch a little more from here on out.
    I suspect in time, that I will build me a separate milk room to where they can't just walk in and out at will.

Whim

10. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

You may not want to mount your pulsator under your milk stands in the event one of the does has an accident on the stand, as well as being able to hose your stands down. Keep in mind don't put your vacuum shut-off valve to far from reach so you don't have to get up and down to shut it on and off, especially if your not going to be using in-line shut-off's on your hoses.

Ray

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I think that's a good idea about the accident thing.....ain't no telling what these FF's are gonna do at any time.
    I'm gonna put in-line valves to each line, I was just putting that main line valve coming from the pump, up on the wall where I could have total vacuum shut down without killing the pump/tank if I needed to.

I am having some trouble with my vacuum relief valve. It tends to be flaky when trying to adjust it. I can set it at 11 lbs, and then the next time I turn the vacuum on, it may go to 13 or 14 lbs before releasing....or may release at 10. I have noticed there seems to be a little vacuum leak through it all the time, after I shut my pump down, I can hear air sucking through it until my gauge gets to 0 lbs.....I wonder just how much vacuum I am wasting during operation with this thing doing that. It is brand new.
    Does any of this with the vacuum relief sound like par for the course with most of them, or have I just got one that's bad faulty.?
    Am I gonna hurt my doe's teats/udder if this vacuum fluctuates up and down (between 10 to 14) like I'm describing.?

Whim

12. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

My vacuum pump when shut at the valve holds a steady pressure and never fluctuates. I have an old big blue surge pump though. My pressure relief is just a small rod with a weight on the end and adjusting the amount of weight changes the pressure. I would think the vacuum fluctuates like your describing you would be way more prone to causing mastitis. I keep my vacuum pressure at 13 for my goats and 15 for my cow. To low a pressure will take to long to milk them and to high can cause mastitis. If yours is fluctuating so widely and your hearing an air leak then something is wrong with it. You should never hear an air leak in your system, soon as you hear one you know somethings wrong.

Ray

13. coso

coso Guest

Whim, take a picture for us when you get it set up if you don't care. I'd like to mount a pulsator somewhere besides on top of the bucket when I set up another one. That way the lid would be easier to keep clean and not so bulky when you take it on and off. So what do you do disconnect the vacuum lines at the inflations so you can take your lid in and clean it?

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl I ain't got that far yet.......but if it works when I get the rest of my parts in, I will for sure be happy to take a pic of it.
    My actual pump, and reserve tank (11 gallons) is setting in the next room over....and I have ran a main vacuum supply line through the wall into my milking area. My hookups at my stand (on the wall) looks more like a clustered control panel.......gauge, vacuum relief, pulsator, main valve, drain cock, and the electric kill switch (on/off) to my pump. .....kinda like Christines set up, just not all the long pvc pipe and stuff.
    I really am doing it this way to where any noise from my pump will not bother me or my goats. I figure with these crazy eyed FF's, the last thing that they are gonna need is a buzzing pump setting close by, while them 2 rattle snakes are hooked up to them.....and that goes for me too I guess.

Ray....I've bout decided that this relieve valve is faulty.......I took it off, and plugged the port, and placed a vacuum on the system....turned the pump back off.....and it held that vacuum for several minutes before it began leaking down.........I even placed about a 20 lb vacuum on it to see if something would colapse, and still it held up..........so thinking that I may have to replace this V. relief if I can't get it to release the pressure at a little steadier pace.

Thanks yaw.....this is helping with some ideas to work with.

Whim

15. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:bang ....UPS just delivered my stuff. It all looks good this time, but the pulsator was not in the box. Called Hamby, and they said that they were sold out of that model , and it was being shipped straight from the factory. I sure hope that I don't have to wait for them to build one.

Hey ...my inflations have not be put in the shells yet.......any of yaw got any tips about how best to push them in there. Would you wet them to make them slide in better?

Whim

16. coso

coso Guest

Put them in some hot water whim. Make them more pliable to push in. Same way with putting hoses on them. They can be boogers sometimes.

17. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

10-4 , I got that loud and clear. Thanks

Whim

18. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Inflations are alot easier to put in than take out. I usually just slide them in the shells then take the end and just pull through till you feel it click. You can then work on the top of the inflations onto the shells so their the right round shape. Putting the hoses onto everything is actually harder the first time but will get easier as the plastic hoses stretch.

Ray

19. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Ok...up and running now. Chris, you ask for a pic of this control panel. My main vac line comes through from the other side of the wall, where there is the vac pump, and an 11 gallon reserve tank..... and is hooking up in the upper right hand corner. In line from right to left, a 4 way with the vac relief on top, and a small milk catch on the bottom, with a drain cock in it.... Next you will see the T with the gauge on top . Next will be a main shut off valve, that will kill (on/off) the vac to both the pulsator and the milk bucket. ...An L downward, with about a 6 in pipe to it....then hit a T , which I come outward with about a 2 in long pipe....L going up, and there sits the pulsator......From the bottom of that T , I come down a little and put another L , with a hose nipple on it. That is the line that go's to my 1/4 milker (milk bucket) .

All of this is enclosed in a 2 ft by 2 ft cabinate, with a door that will shut and lock.
    This all is setting just higher than the floor of my milk stand, and the rear end of the stand is about 3 ft to the left of this pic.
    My 1/4 milker is now setting on the floor, and the vac line to it is about 2 ft long. The milk line from the 1/4 milk to the cluster is about 3 ft long. My pulsator line (when cut off some) will be about 4 ft long.

I did have to plug one side of the pulsator in order to just use one side of it.

Now.....tell me what I did wrong here...any suggestions?

Whim

[​IMG]

20. coso

coso Guest

Whim, Does the pulsator work ok with one side plugged up ? I didn't know if that would cause problems since these kind are run off of air pressure? I've seen them put a loop of tubing between two ports on the old surge type. But as long as it is working correctly you should be good to go. I guess I didn't realize you still had to pressurize the bucket, hadn't really thought about it until you started this. Guess this draws the milk into the bucket instead of just sitting in the milk lines. I'd say fire it up and give it a whirl stick your fingers in the inflations, and see if you can get the pulsator working and your pressure right and you should be good to go.