Milk machine routine

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bilrite Farms, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

I have a questions about milking by machine. DH & I were have a discussion about milking (what else -this time of year). Last year someone with good goat know-how had told us not to dip in bleach water between milking if we were using an iodine based dip. We weren't using iodine last year but now are using an iodine barrier post-dip. I was thinking that it should be fine because our pre-dip isn't iodine based and we of course wipe it off before milking but DH is wondering if the possible residual bleach left after milking would interfere with the iodine post-dip. He said the advice we were given makes sense because the bleach neutralizes the iodine and could cause our post-dip to be less effective.

His take is to stop dipping in bleach water between animals since we do the pre-dip and post-dip and that the bleach water isn't helping and could be harming the process. Although he knows his chemical stuff, being new to milk machines we weren't sure and I told him I'd ask here.

I'm just wondering what all your thoughts are.

Trisha

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

He may be right on the bleach solution however you do need a way to sanitize inflations between goats. What if one comes down with mastitis and you use that same inflation on the next one before you know it you will have this herdwise. So either use the bleach or find a compatable solution to work with your iodine?

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How much bleach/water residue could possibly be on the teats after milking? Vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NONE to my knowledge

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I don't think she's saying that there is bleach residue on the teats after milking, just that the residue on the inflations might neutralize the post iodine dip..(?). couldn't you wipe them with (?) before your post dip? I agree with Sondra about the process of spreading mastitis.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you know I shake out my inflations after dipping in my clorox solution (1/4 cup to 1 gal water) and they are also hung to drip while another goat is brought in, I just can't believe there is any residue left to attach itself to the teat and hinder after milking a post dip