Milk Machine Dilemma

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, May 25, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I know your all going to think I'm nuts, but I finally used my milk machine tonight. Anyway I have a dilemma, I have a Hambys milker that will milk two goats. I took off one of the claws and plugged all the holes as to only use the one claw. I called and that's what they told me to do. Anyway, it says to have the lever on the claw UP for milking and DOWN for washing, though when I swished it in the bucket of water to clean in between goats, it sucked up a whole bunch of water. So I'm confused (easy to do). So reading this pamphlet over again (and over and over.. you get the idea) it says that when taking the inflation off of the goats teat, the rapid inlet of air creates a pressure difference across the valve which sucks the valve against its seat, creating immediate shut-off. So.. what do you do to swish it in a cleaning solution in between goats? do I need to turn the pump off each time?? I just dumped 3 gal of milk down the sink. :(

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

You may have to go to inline shutoffs. The claws NEVER shut the vaccum off enough to keep air/water from going through.
    Kaye

3. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Yes, I have that same set-up from Hamby-mine came with green shut-offs, which you need to turn off when swishing. When you stick it in the water the claw opens back up because a vacumn is created again..just like if you moved it to another teat.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep in the milkline, not the airline shutoffs.

A really easy way to remember the little levers on your claw is...if they are pushed facing the lines to your can you are cleaning your can....if they are pushed and facing the inflation you are milking your goat. Least wise it works for me :)

I am suprised they didn't come with inline shutoffs, easy enough to put on at least...course he will think you are crazy and know you are on this list when you tell him its because you want to clean your inflations between does :) Vicki

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

AAHHH! So THAT's what those green things are for! They came in the box but Mike said they weren't Grade -A approved... :/
    So, I have to cut the line to install them, how close (far-away) would you recommend they be from the claw?

And thanks! I just knew something wasn't right! :thankyou

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't have claws, just the shut offs and mine are abt 4 in from the bottom of the inflations.

7. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I hope this is a good time for this but, isn't adding all of this stuff making machine milking less sanitary? I purchased a second machine as a back up and it had green shut offs, metal joints to the inflations, long hoses that I couldn't imagine getting a brush to to clean. Yuck!

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I think they make brushes for all that hosing, sort of like a plumbers "snake". Very flexible but with bristles. Could be why those green things aren't Grade-A approved.. :really

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mine come apart at all these intersections. As you go, depending upone who put together your lines and inflations you will do away with things, like mine doesn't have the stainless parts anymore, they were redundant with the claws, now if you don't have claws than yes your stainless elbow has your air hole in it so the infaltion doesn't swamp milk around the teat.

With my lines poped off my claws and off the lid (both things that I don't soak in bleach, only the inflation part) giving it a good soaking while you clean the rest of the milkroom once a week and scour your can, leaves your lines sparkling. Daily basic cleaning, and weekly scrubbing...it all beats hand milking. Vicki

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

?? I think mine did this.. It sort of looks like they're in a plastic bag that squishes 'em. :???
    As soon as I can find those green things and get them installed (I may have to order a couple more if I can't find 'em) I'll definitely be looking at what that milker's doing.. I thought the milk was just supposed to squirt out and down the tube.. :/

11. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Oh darn I don't have an stainless elbow. I guess that's why my milk sloshes up and down the tube. I have to break the suction at times to get the milk to flow all the way in the bucket. And yes it sloshes around the teats to. Arrgghh. I got my bucket assembyl from someone else. the inflations are in the clear shells, and attached to the milk lines and vac lines. no claws no elbows, no inline cut offs. :groan

Sheryl

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

stick a needle in your line just below your inflations will help with flow of milk and you should be able to find some shut off valves at a hardware store.

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Aren't you glad several on here use machines??

There has to be an air inlet somewhere to keep your milk from "slugging" (as Vicki calls it) back and forth in the lines. My claw has the airway and it causes the milk to flow readily down the milk hoses to the bucket. It also keeps the milk from flooding the inflation and pushing back up on the does teats. (Good way to set up mastitis)

The green plastic shut offs are just as sanitary as anything else on the machine. Now, if you just have to spend some money....they make a stainless steel shut off. There's also a cable brush to clean the milk hoses...about 5-6 feet long, brush on one end, SS piece on the other with a hole to hook on nail and pull the cable through about 3-4 times. I put Dawn on the brush and soap the heck outa' the inside of the hoses. I also use an acid wash sucked up by the inflations to keep milkstone from forming in the milk lines. I use this two or three times a week and clean my whole unit on Mon. and Thur.
    Kaye

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

You BETCHA!! :lol

ooohhh! where would you get one of those??

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

16. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Ouch! that is a kick in the butt! :biggrin

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

and that is just for one.

18. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

ok sondra, or anyone else who has the answer? when you say needle, I automatically think of sewing needle :biggrin I don't think that will be a big enough hole? so do I assume that you mean like the needle off of a syringe? do I leave it stuck in there? or pull it out? will it leave a big enough air hole?

Sheryl

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

syringe needle and then just take it out then when needed stick it back in to reopen the hole. or you can leave it in I have done both.

20. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well, isn't that what the shutoff valve on the claw is for??