Milk Handling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Pretty soon I expect to have 3 goats in milk, and then a few months after that a total of 5. I'm used to milking 1 or 2 goats and all the milk fitting in my 6 quart pail. I'm going to have to change things a little for handling "real" amounts of milk, not just a little household milk, so I have some questions.

How do y'all handle your milk? I know some have machines, but I will be hand milking. I'm trying to picture getting all this milk chilled properly in 100 degree heat... I read here about using a saline solution frozen in a bag that is sealed double do you can cut it on the seal, so it can be properly cleaned. Could I use a milk tote with one of these bags in it to cool the milk as I fill it from the milk bucket? Could I just put a strainer on top so I can pour the milk through and have it immediately strained and chilled? Am I totally on the wrong track? Any help is appreciated!

2. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

You could use a milk tote that you put in a small rubbermaid type tub filled with ice water. I think that is what we are planning on doing so far. I think it would be easiest to move to the barn and back in the kids wagon. :D

Blessings,
    Christina

3. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I milk into a 1 gallon pail and then after each doe it is dumped into a 5 gallon pail. I finish milking the rest and run the milk to the house, filter it and cool it. Thats about all. We get high 90-100 temps in July & August and when it happens I take a smaller 4 gallon pail and put it in the 5 gallon pail. Put water in the middle and throw it in the deep freeze. It keeps it cold until the rest does are milked. We arn't having any problems keeping the milk nice & cool these days. :D
    I feel for you, I am used to milking 3 does. I am doing 6 this year. 2010 we might be milking 8.

4. debrad636

debrad636 New Member

Hi,

I made the bags of salt brine, that are sealed twice. You cut along the outside seam. No place for the milk to get into to contaminate, and easy to clean.
    We are getting ready for the big season also. I made more bags, and stuck in freezer. No more ice cubes. I make long ones about 5 inches across, so they fit beside bottles of milk to cool. Also make smaller ones to fit in the milk pail. Milk is cooling as soon as it comes out.
    I seen on here, there is someone who uses salt brine in a large pan, or bucket, puts that in freezer, but have to be carefull, the milk will freeze, if left too long.
    Good Luck
    Deb

5. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I only have 3 in milk right now. I milk them, strain into quart jars and put the jars into a plastic tote that is filled with a brine solution about 3/4 the way up toward the neck. Within 30 minutes the milk is at 40 degrees. I never liked to put anything into my milk (i.e. frozen brine solution) didn't trust that it wouldn't leak and to sanitize it, is impossible. The brine solution works amazing.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use plastic bottles that juice/cokes/water comes in and freeze them. put in my bucket I use a couple two gal buckets to hold the milk until going to the frig. I strain as I bottle the milk up.

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Right now, I'm down to milking just 5 so am milking by hand. I have my sink filled with water with bottles of water that I've frozen & a ciculating pump. I milk into a bucket & then filter into glass half gallon canning jars that are in the ciculating ice water. I pour the milk into the filter after each goat. When I'm back to milking 20 (what was I thinking ?!!), I'll be using the machine again. My De Laval bucket sits in a tub of ice water & I milk 2 by machine & 1 by hand, then again filter into the jars in the ice water

8. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

How much salt to water parts do you make your brine solution?

Vicki in NC

9. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Vicki, my understanding is as much as the water will take. After a certain amount it won't dissolve any more salt.

I appreciate the help, it's going to be interesting I think :biggrin Those milk totes are a little pricey, but I think I will need it.

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I liked the ice chest idea I saw on someone's website. Ice chest with brine water, gallon jugs sitting in it after having milk strained. Then I can finish chores at the barn without having to stop and go in the house to strain milk, and get it started chilling.
    Kaye

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I do the same thing Sondra does, I have a few frozen water bottles dedicated to for milk time. I pop these into my tote bucket, and after each goat is milked, the milk is weighed and then poured into the tote. It's all nice and chilled by the time I get back to the house.. now once we have the milk room finished, I may be moving to the chest idea that Kaye mentioned. Now there's an idea!

12. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Why use brine water instead of just plain water? Does it stay frozen longer?
    Anita

13. I have two pails. (Of course this was when I was milking two does, not 3 or 4 so I'll have to make adjustments I'm sure.

I took 2-3 bottles of ice (We froze water in plain water bottles that mom buys at Martins.) I put it in the 6qt milk pail. I used the 2qt pail ( I believe it's 2 qt, might be wrong) and milked the does into that and dumped the milk into the 6qt so it could be cooling while I milked everyone. I'm probably going to have to buy another 6qt pail. lol.

14. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We found that we were never able to get the bottles as clean as we would like, those grooves where the caps twist on and off hold milk and are dicey to clean. If I had to I'd likely go to an icechest full of frozen bottles that I popped the milk into after it was milked. In the summer I'd likely run a relay so that some can be strained and chilling while the rest of the goats are being milked so that the milk isn't just sitting there in the heat.

15. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

As far as the brine solution - you boil water introduce as much rock salt as you can to the water. 8 cups will probably take 2 cups of salt (estimating here). Once you have saturated the solution - pour that into a 5 L plastic tote ($5 from walmart). The idea with the brine is it will not freeze. So if your freezer is set to say -5 degrees than that is the temp this solution will be - and conform to the jars you are using to freeze them in. So you get a very, very cold liquid surrounding your milk container. I put them in there, put the lid on and shove it back into the freezer. Put the microwave timer on for a half an hour and viola! Rinse the jars off and put them in my fridge.Just be careful as to the level of the liquid...too much and it will rise above the neck of your jars....salty milk is not so tasty :( been there done that...or if they are not filled up enough, they float and tip over, again salty milk is not so tasty.. It works for me., I'm lazy and want the easiest way to achieve the 40 degreees in a half an hour and this method works great. $5 for a tote with lid and $7 for a bag of rock salt.