Milk for bottle feeding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by country697, Mar 19, 2008.

1. country697

country697 New Member

I am bottle feeding 3 babies. I have been feeding them Vit D milk from the store. Do I need to add buttermilk and canned milk to the Vit D? They seem to be doing great on just the Vit D. I don't want to miss something they may be needing. Thanks for your help! Vicki

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

If you can afford it I add half and half to mine with a few drops of baby vitamins 1 time a day...mine are doing great on it.

3. country697

country697 New Member

Chaty, How much half & half do you use per gallon?

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I use about 2 oz per 6 oz bottle so I guess that would be 1 pint a gallon I would guess. I get my half and half at Wal-Mart and its alot cheaper to use it that way...my babies love it.

5. Katarina

Katarina New Member

we have had good results from straight vit d whole cows milk :shrug

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Honestly, don't waste your time and money adding anything to the whole milk purchased from the grocery store. They simply don't need it.

We have successfully raised many kids on store bought whole milk. They are every bit as growthy as the kids raised on pasteurized goat milk; in fact you cannot tell the difference.

Keep it simple. :D

Sara

7. Kalne

Kalne New Member

We use straight milk when we need the goat milk for other purposes.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use Vit D with nothing added and have for years everyone does fine. Oh I do add 1/8 to 1/4 teas of BS to the bottles

9. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I also have used grocery store milk and not added anything to it without any problems.

10. mdbates

mdbates New Member

Sorry to butt in.
    what is BS?
    Can I switch to cow milk even if I just started the formula this past Mon. If so how? all at once or gradually?

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Baking Soda.

Yes, please switch your babies to whole cow milk from the grocery store; it is so much better for them than milk replacer.

If they are scouring from the replacer I would make the change now.

Sara

12. mdbates

mdbates New Member

why do you use baking soda

13. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I personally don't put baking soda in the milk.

Sara

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I do only when switching as seems to help them ajust especially if the already have an upset stomach from the replacer.

15. penelope

penelope New Member

i also use straight vit d milk. sometimes i add a little plain homemade yogurt and corn syrup. he likes it best like that. but plain is fine. boy i wish i would have known about the baking soda when switching. mine switched from goat milk to cow milk. luckily he was only a mess for about a day and a half.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have no trouble switching from goats milk to whole milk and back and forth but there is always a problem switching from those that have chosen to use replacer and their stomach is always messed up.