Milk filters-- any difference between brands?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Mar 12, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

Making an order today for some stuff I need- gonna buy some real milk filters-- I was wondering if there's any difference between brands? I'm making a jeffers order so it'd be cheapest to buy there, but if something else works better I'd go with that. I've been using bounty paper towels, but since hubby won a real strainer I'd just as soon use it.
    Thanks!

Susie

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I haven't noticed a difference. I buy the ones that are the least expensive.

Sara

3. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Here we like the Schwartz Filter Clean filters better than the KenAg ones.

Trisha

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Do they all strain so slow ??? I'd love to find a faster moving filter :+)

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

In my experience....yes. They all strain slowly. But...that means (hopefully) they are cleaning the milk better. They do seem to go faster on warm milk than cold though.

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

A tip on slow flowing milk:

Rather than putting the milk filter tight inside the strainer, put a small 'pocket' in the filter and the milk will flow through the filter much faster.

Sara

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

thanks for the tip ! I'll have to try that tonight :+)

8. Truly

Truly New Member

And I second the warm milk statement.

If it's not warm when you filter... it takes forever.

9. Janelle

Janelle New Member

Thanks fir the tip!! I will try it!

Oh, for anyone thinking the "fast flow" filters are fast.....you will be disappointed. :sigh
    I see no difference in those compared to the ones I get @TSC for 1/2 the price. :nooo

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have never worked on a large dairy. But certainly they are not straining milk like this. I have used the butter muslin on the lid of my milk pail several times and it does work really well. Is there anything you can put inline etc...when you machine milk? They certainly aren't straining a bulk tank full of milk :) And there is rarely anything to strain out once you milk with clean teats! OH KENS????????? Vicki

11. Bethany

Bethany New Member

I'll have to try your tip too Sara, I'd sure love for it to strain faster!

12. Yes Vicki?

Well in most commerical dairy they use a inline filter that is a spring that fits into the swing line(line that goes into the tank). Most of the time they are about 2 1/4 up 4 inches by 24 inches. All depends on where the filter fits in the lines.

There is a inline filter that you can use on buckets. Its just a piece that fits on the milk hose from the unit to the bucket. Those use a smaller spring and and most of the time the filter are just like sheets of paper. You wrap around the spring and then have a cap you put on the ends. Really simple to use. Then when your bucket is full your milk has been filtered.

Tips of slow flow:
    1) make the pocket
    2) only filter warm milk
    3) wet the filter before you put any milk on it...a dry filter is a B***H to filter milk
    4) at times the cap that holds the filter in place is to tight fitting and causes vaccum on the filter...adjust the cap
    5) make sure there is air space around the bottom of the strainer...vaccum deal again

Ken in MO

13. NubianSoaps.com

Thanks Ken! So I am looking for an in the milkline milk filter....both Paul Hamby and Mike at PD...don't understand all my watchamacallit doohicky messages :) Vicki

14. NubianSoaps.com

Thanks Ken, and that's not as much as I thought it would be. Vicki

15. No they are really not that high in price...when you figure if you spend 30 minutes at each milking filtering milk...an hour a day...at $8 and hour...in about a week or two it will have paid off.

OR...I can sell you a double 8 herringbone with a 2500 gallon tank and pre-cooler and the bells. For just $10k. That way you could milk everyone at once and have MORE than enough tank/cooling storage

Ken in MO

16. NubianSoaps.com

Don't tempt me. I know I could sell every drop it sucked out! But selling 50 gallons of milk a week is one thing, selling that much plus more illegally would get me on the six o`clock news :) And I know two USDA inspectors who would never let me live it down, if I went legal. Vicki

17. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Does delivery come with that, Ken? :)

18. Sure LeeAnne...just take about 100 goats tho to hit the paddle. I think the smallest amount you can have in it is about 150 gallons. Till them the paddle is in mid air.

ken in MO