Milk fever...input PLEASE--ADDED link to pic in thread on pg 2

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We were at the Houston Livestock Show when Nyla, my pride and joy, my first goat ever, came down with milk fever...not uddering up, balking big time at the milkstand, not touching her grain. By the time we got ahold of a thermometer her temp was 99.5.

She never seemed really shaky, though and was eating hay and alfalfa pellets and drinking water.

After the vet at the show tried to kill her (along with yelling at me "are you kidding me, you are questioning me?! I am FACULTY at the vet school!" when I told her that no, 99 was NOT a normal goat temperature)...we brought her home.

The vet gave her 20cc IV CMPK at the show.

We have been doing 30cc injectible CMPK every 2 hrs along with nutridrench (SOMEWHERE I have propylene glycol but I cant find it anywhere for the life of me), parsing the nutridrench out 60cc 3 times daily. She got 8cc fortified B complex last night.

Now she is not wanting to eat hay or alfalfa. She is still on her feet. She has never really seemed that shaky, and she has been jumping up on the milkstand today when our dd gave her the CMPK shots.

But her temp is falling! She was 98.4 this evening!

What are we missing here? To me it seemed clear that with the sharp drop in milk production, the refusal to get on the milk stand, the turning up her nose at grain and the low temp that this was hypocalcemia...but why are we not seeing improvement and IF it is MF, with a temp that low, wouldnt we expect to see her be shaky or wobbly? She mainly seems a bit depressed...

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Milk fever...input PLEASE

Continue what you are doing, but add several tablespoons of bicarb to the propolyne glycol, and offer her all the good grass hay she wants, hoping this addition will treat the acidosis that she likely has. Milk Fever when treated with propolyn glycol like this can turn into gestational ketosis. The bicarb will neutralyze her rumen, as will tetracycline given orally. I would also put her on dex. Steroids in the treatment of ketosis and acidosis help. Make sure your drenchs and subq drugs are warmed, it's alot of meds and you do not want her to have to warm them. Jacket, it's cool out tonight. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

IS she drinking?? make sure she is hydrated either by warm molasses water or else lactated ringers.

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Oh, sorry to hear this. I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

I have had a few go into milk fever over the last few years with low temps and shakiness, decreased milk. I would not milk them all the way out and give oral CMPK. Pushed alfalfa pellets. Mainly just watched them close.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When one ofmy does had MF a couple years ago, she stopped eating in spite of the calcium shots and het temp started dropping again. Her rumen had been affected by her illness. I stole cud from another goat for her and the next morning her temp was back up and she was eating grass hay along with nibbling on her alfalfa. kathie

6. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Well, despite continuing with the CMPK q2hrs along with the rumen supportive measures we are getting worse here. Now she is definitely shaky. She WANTS to be up and she WANTS to be with her penmates but there is no way that she could stand up for herself and she would try (herd queen) We are going to the vet, tho I dont know what else they could add. Trying to steal cud now.

At this point advice is good, prayers more. I dont know...I just cant see continuing without Nyla. Is that stupid or what? It's just an animal! I didnt even HAVE goats 4 years ago! She just IS Swede Farm, to me.

7. Katarina

Katarina New Member

(Sorry, that was LeeAnne again, I didnt know that K had signed me out)

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH am so sorry LeeAnne prayers are flowing for Beloved Nyla. hope your going to Mary? Vicki's vet

9. Re: Milk fever...input PLEASE

praying for you.
    have you tried warm ringers?
    Becky

10. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I'm so sorry. I hope she pulls through for you. We're both thinking about you guys and sweet Nyla.

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Well, we spent all day at the vet's and left her there but I do not in anyway expect to see her alive again.

I also spent the day on the phone on and off with Vicki M and Kaye. (Thank you both SO much)

The vet and I spent the day pouring over "goat medicine".

Her blood calcium levels were through the roof, so pretty much all agree it isnt hypocalcemia. Her glucose levels were also through the roof. No ketones, not ketosis. Rumen contents aspirated and checked, not acidotic. Blood and urine levels checked, not liver or kidney failure. Lungs clear, milk clean. No elevated white blood cells in blood or bacteria noted. Throughout her symptoms remained plummeting body temp along with dramatically worsening weakness. In the afternoon it was apparent that there was pain growing, she was vocalizing loudly. (Kaye heard her over the phone) At that point her white blood cell count bottomed out. We discussed everything from organophosphate poisoning (rejected, it didnt really fit in the end) to out and outright sabotage at the show. The vets best guess is some hidden infection (clostridial?) causing her to go septic. But he freely admits that it is purely a guess because nothing else fits and the rumen activity is done, shot, nonfunctional.

Anyway, we started multiple broad spectrum antibiotics and despite the low body temp we opted for banamine because she was obviously hurting and we did IV dex. But we really dont expect it to work, but agreed to try it anyway.

I am so sad.

My husband met me at the car with a still wet new doeling and said "I dont understand why something like this happens...but we are not quitting." I am glad that he is so supportive regarding the goats and such...but I am so discouraged and sad.

Thanks for all the support.

12. Qvrfullmidwife

Oh and this will be our first doe lost.

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I am sorry LeeAnne....

14. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:down I am sooo sorry. Nothing just seemed to fit on her. Not even a glimmer of what was wrong. I'm so glad she was where she could have blood work done. This rules things out in a hurry. I'm glad the banamine was given...I just can't stand to hear that cry and not relieve the pain, when all it takes is a shot.

It's hard to loose a doe, but that Vet is trying everything in his power to help your doe and I admire him for that. Not many are that willing.
    Kaye

15. Qvrfullmidwife

Thank you SO much for your help, Kaye, it REALLY helps me feel somewhat better to know that someone else also weighed in and drew blanks, as hard as it is. I was worried about the banamine with the low body temp but in the end...why make her suffer when there is so little hope of help?

16. Re: Milk fever...input PLEASE

I'm am so truly, truly, sorry you are going thru this with your beloved Nyla. I have tears streaming as I read of her battle. Tears for you & her & me :sniffle.... what you are going thru with her is EXACTLY what I had happen with my *heart doe* Charlie, back in Oct. The temp drop, the pain.. We tried everything. (everyone here on the forum were so wonderful...offering ideas/suggestions/encouragement.. finally.. lots of cyber hugs. We just ran out of things to try. Charlie was tired. I felt so lost. As evening came on the 3 rd day of our battle, Charlie told me it was time to help her go... I was home alone and had to release her myself... I hadn't felt a hurt in my heart and such an emptiness in my soul... in a long, long time. I was ready to just give up. Sell the goats. Even move back to the city. BUT... my daughter brought Charlie's doeling, Lydia out and laid her in my arms... I looked into her face and saw her sweet, gentle mother looking back at me...thru those trusting eyes... It's still hurts.. but time does lessen the pain... I will be praying that your Nyla recovers.
    susie, mo ozarks

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

LeeAnne prayers and huggs go out to you and the family. Praying that Nyla pulls thru but knowing that if not then she won't be in pain.

18. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'm at a complete loss of words here. :down ...I don't know, and don't understand it .

Whim

19. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I am so sorry for all of you, LeeAnne. I know how on top of things you are and how really knowledgeable yoiu are about goats and goat medicine. The fact that it's not anything that fits a standard diagnosis...well. I just don't know what to say.

You have a great, strong family and you guys will get through this. As neighbors and friends, please let us know if we can help you in any way. If any kids need rides - or need watching while you're busy...anything.

Hugs.

20. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

We can help too!

We are on Spring break from most of our outside classes. We would love to have some kids over to play so you can focus on what needs to be done.

I'm so sorry you are going through this!