Milk containers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Sep 14, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I have searched this topic and have a list of websites, but I wondering if anyone knows of a local place to get milk jugs. I live in Elgin, tx. I can go anywhere in Central Texas to get them. My husband also goes to the Dallas/Plano area about once a month. If there is somewhere along I35 on the way up, that would work also. I prefer 1/2 gallons, but if I have to go gallon I will.

Thanks,
    Tiffany

2. chewie

chewie New Member

i simply use half-gallon canning jars, and got the plastic lids that hoegger and now even walmart has. they are large enough for me to fit my big bear-paw hands into and wash well, and are easy for my kids to pour from. maybe you are looking for those types to give to buyers tho.? i have one person who gets some of my extra and she jsut provided some jars so i fill them up, and she hands me the empties to fill for next week. the one gallons she gave me tho. i find tricky as they dont' cool as fast and are so heavy.

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Yes,
    I don't have enough extra milk to sell yet, but I am looking forward to when i do.

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Ace Hardware can order 1/2 gallon canning jars for you.

Camille

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Bordens in Conroe will sell you containers.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If for personal use then just get the 1/2 gal canning jars from Ace or Dollar General has a sq glass canister that is a little over a 1/2 gal

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Try checking with a bottled water distributor.
    We get ours at a plant behind Kentwood Spring Water. Not sure of the name.. but they make the jugs for Kentwood. It's in Kentwood, LA.. a fair drive for us.. but several of us pool together and get a truck load.
    The gallon jugs come 48 to a bundle and cost about $10.
    The half gallon come 108 to a bundle and cost about $10. Push seal caps come in a box of 2000, and cost $20.
    So.. it rather cheap to have jugs on hand.
    My attic is full !!!

Rett

8. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I am looking for jugs for when I start selling milk.

Rett, those are great prices, but quite a ways to drive. I didn't really think there would be anywhere to get them close, but thought maybe there would be somewhere in the Dallas area. I guess I will just have to search some more.

Thanks.

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

There's a place in Sherman, Consolidated Containers, I know it's a hike, but their prices are decent. You do have to call for availability on 1/2 gallon jugs too. We just hauled the horse trailer out there & loaded up.. if you take a truck, you can only get about 4 - 5 sleeves of jugs in there and you really (and I mean really!) have to bring some sort of tarp to hold it down as they will want to fly out of the bed! --which is why we went with the trailer + we could haul more back and not make so many trips.
    PM me for thier # if your interested.

10. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

That might be too far to talk hubby into going. He goes to Plano once a month but only for 1 day. If he goes to Sherman that turns a 3 hour trip into a 5 hour trip. Not sure he will go for it unless that is the best possibility I can find.

Thanks,
    Tiffany

11. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Does you husband ever go close to Cleburne? If so, I can give you a source there.

12. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Consolidated Containers!! That's the name of the place in Kentwood !
    Appears to have several locations!! Call them and see. If there's more than one location.. as they say.. there may be a location near you.. lol
    Be prepared to find lids in another location. Consolidated only has jugs.. or they do here. We have to go to another location to get the lids.
    But.. if you find some jugs.. and need lids.. I have a 2000, minus a few hundred.. so I can send ya some!!

We get about 10 bundles on our truck. Regular bed.. but they strap down easy. Could have gotten maybe two or three more, depends on how they are stacked. (we stacked on ends,then two flat on top)Two straps.. and the plastic holds well.. unless you drive like my hubby.

13. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thanks, I will check it out.

tiff

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If he comes up 35 to go to DFW then he goes right by the one in Cleburn

15. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Consolidated Containers also has a small plant near Alliance Airport, but they only make gallon jugs.
    Located at 5651 Gateway Freeway Suite 100
    Ft. Worth, Texas 76177
    Phone: 817/491-9229

For years, we purchased jugs in Dallas at Specialty Foods, but their prices got too high. Here's the info. if you want to check it out.
    Specialty Foods 214/358-2441
    2818 Merrill Rd.
    Dallas, Texas 75229
    They make jugs of all sizes, even down to 1/2 pints. Consolidated Containers in Sherman also makes several sizes.

16. nappint

nappint New Member

Both Oak Hill farms & Schepps will sell: gallon, 1/2 gallon, quarts, pints etc. they are very reasonable in price but you have to buy a "case" (which is between $14.00 & $20.00 so not a lot of up front money). Just call and ask to speak to someone in sales they will set up a time for you to come by the dairy and pick up your containers - they even let you pick the cap color! :biggrin I have a contact at the Dallas Oak Farms dairy - if you want her name just PM me ;)

HTH

17. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Tiffany, I tell my customers to bring their own containers. That way I don't have to store them, clean them, keep track of who's is who's...all of that. I keep the milk in 1 gallon glass jars, (usually old pickle or dill jars, washed MANY times to get the dill smell and taste out) then pour it into the customers jars when they come. Just a thought. :) Kristin

18. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thanks, Kristin. I hadn't really thought about doing it that way.

Tiffany

19. I use quart and half gallon glass canning jars. (I don't like plastic, I can sterilize glass) So far I don't have so many customers that I've had a problem. We have been able to use the honor system about MY jars and they have always been returned. I tell them that if they want to continue to buy milk I have to have my jars back, or they will have to pay me a deposit on my jars. Also, being a gardener, I always have kept the quart sized jars from mayonaise and washed them. they will take a regular canning lid and are suitable for water bath cannning of acidic fruits and things. They aren't as tough as canning jars, so i don't pressure can anything in them. However, they are "free" jars and I try to use those for milk before I give up me "real" canning jars. One of the reasons i use quarts is because my husband makes deliveries (only if it's not out of his way, then they come to him) for me in the town where he works about 30 miles from here and quarts will fit into the ice chest and cool down with the cold packs better than larger jars. Plus they are easier to handle for elderly (my customer base there) people than larger jars. I have arthritis and I know how hard it is to hold on to a big heavy jar of milk. I have small hands and can get them into wide-mouthed jars. For regular jars I have a quart jar brush (a canning supply much needed) and I use those scotch type scrubbies on the end of my brush to get any stubborn stuff off the jar. Then I run them through my Maytag Jetclean dishwasher at 140 degrees. I highly recommend that particular brand and model of dishwasher. When I moved into this house a made sure to buy a second one, as i had toleave my other one behind in the old house to be sold. This is my second one and I'm still sold on it. It's the one where the commercial has the lady washing a cake away in the dishwasher and dried on egg and cooked on food comes off in one cycle. It really DOES. No pre-washing dishes needed, just scraping. (Of course I pre-scrub my milk jars for extra safety, and run a load of just jars) It's a little more expensive, but so worth it! The dishes are clean in one washing. That is saving money in water and detergent, not to mention time. Only my hand-washing and scrubbing gets my dishes cleaner. (Yes, I do have to have lots of storeage for empty jars. But this is a farm kitchen. We have that anyway. I designed it myself :blush2 )

20. Rence

Rence Guest

I'm not milking any goats right now, but my Jersey is giving me 2-1/2 gallons a day.

I use quart-sized canning jars and after I'm done hand skimming the next day (I make a lot of butter and cheese), I transfer to 1/2 gallon glass pitchers with lids. I got them from Walmart and they come in two different designs where I live: One has a bulbous round bottom and thin neck, it comes with a glass lid with rubber lining the bottom of the lid. The other one is rectangular and ridged all around, with a plastic lid.

I share my milk with a neighbor, and she bought the bulbous-type container (they *are* pretty but for me, they take up too much room in the fridge). She brings them with her, clean, to pick up milk. I just pour the milk from the quart canning jars into her pitcher and she goes off on her way.

Maybe a pitcher with a good lid might work for you? Don't use a sun jar...they leak :(

1/2 gallon mason jars will work, but I find the ridged rectangular pitcher to be more space efficient. Plus, I'm one of those ones who spills easy, and the pitcher has a bit of a spout on top, which makes it easier to pour.

-Rence