Milk amounts

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madeleine M., Apr 30, 2008.

1. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

We have 4 kids. 2 are 1 month old Nubians. We have a 1 month old ND and a 2 month old ND.

Right now, we are feeding them all free choice grain and hay, plus 20 oz of milk 3 times a day.

Does that sound about right? When would we move to twice a day bottle feeding? They look nice and healthy now.

Also, 3 of our kids have not been dis-budded yet. I was told that it was best to wait until ND kids were a month or older.

Is a month too old for a Nubian kid to be dis-budded?

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

On the Nubian, I would say yea on the "too old to be disbudded" Mine are almost too old at 2 weeks. I also think it's harder on them. As for the ND,s I'm not sure. The feeding of milk, how many times a day is more of a personal choice than an actual necessity. Mine are at 2x a day by the time they are a month old because I can't take them with me to work forever.. that cuteness thing wears off kinda quick when theres a lot to do :)
    I'd be burning those Nubies now if you can.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you have the milk keep them on 3 times until 8 weeks, then move to 2, then keep that up until you just can't do it one more day, but at least 12 weeks :)

Disbud when you can feel the little horn nub, and it is making a cowlick in their hair. Do not wait until you can see the horn nub.

If you need help disbudding call Kenny Sheehane, she is wonderful, $5 a head plus her gas to you. When she is there have her check out your hooves to see if you are doing it correctly and ask her questions. 936-232-8327

4. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

Oh, Thank you, thank you, thank you.

We will call now.