Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

milk amounts

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Bella Star 
#1 ·
Anybody have a UDDER photo of a doe that milks 12M , before milking ?

and.......

for us that dont get appraisals .... approximately how much amount of milk in Qt's and gallon's is the amount of milk per milking ? :D

#5 ·
Yep, I see now ,your saying a 12M is a doe that produces 12 pounds approx. of milk per day or 1 & 1/2 gallons of milk per day ??

I still would like to see the udder on a doe that milks that much before milking :D

Show me that BIG udder :laughcry

G
#6 ·
Bella Star said:
Yep, I see now ,your saying a 12M is a doe that produces 12 pounds approx. of milk per day or 1 & 1/2 gallons of milk per day ??
Are you asking what a 12*M is?

When a doe has a number after her name (in this case a 12*M) is means that the doe is the 12th generation to have earned her milk star. The number of stars indicate the number of consecutive generations of females in the immediate background that have qualified. For example: 1*M indicates that the doe has qualified by meeting Advanced Registry or ST requirements and that her dam has no production record; 2*M indicates a qualified tested doe with a 1*M dam; 3*M indicates a qualified doe with a 2*M dam and a 1*M grandam, etc.

Make sense?

Sara

#8 ·
:blush
[/Maybe she's thinking 12M and meaning 12lb?? and maybe what she really wants to see is Agathas udder after 12 hours.. ? quote] :rofl I DID !!! I DID !!! ............ well DUH, can you tell my girls dont have any milk stars :blush

Ok, so PLeezeee explain all the weighing of the milk and logging in how much weight amount of milk your does produce as I am still wondering what a GOOD milk doe produces in simple Qt's and Gallons per day of milk. :help

Do you have a photo of BIG Agathas udder ? :lol

#9 ·
Linda,
Milk is weighed on a hanging dairy scale in a pail that was weighed before, the scale has two hands so you can see "0" and the tare weight of the pail when empty. Milk weighs 8.6 pounds per gallon, this is a quicker, more accurate way to record milk production than having to measure by eye.
What a "good" milk doe produces is a relevant term, everyone has their own management factors that play into what their best does produce.
I don't know if many take udder pictures at 12 hours and it would be irrevelant anyway and udders are different. Some may be big but "meaty" and produce less milk than a smaller more pliable udder.
Tim

#10 ·
Ok here is one of my LM doe's ,she gave about 1 gal. a day at time of photo ,she freshened in late Feb. as I remember. Her udder is deep,is she about average for a fair/good milker ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

#15 ·
:shocked :milk WHOA !!!!!!!!! NOW thats a BIG udder ! Heck I could get by with 2 Alpines or just 1 with that udder !! I could make LOTS of cheese ! WOW !
Those udders look great too, nice tight high full udders with well placed nice size teats !!WONDERFUL ! THANKS Chris !!

#18 ·
Hmm, I know I have a rear shot of Agatha somewhere on a disk -- I've been looking for it. Until I can find it -- here's a side shot.

This second shot is the YEARLING doe in my avatar! Even though she didn't freshen until the end of June, she has still made her milking star. I think she peaked at 10.5 lbs. Not bad for a baby! Though her teat placement could be further in, I'm not going to throw her away for that.

I'll keep looking for Aggie, and I have a great shot of her daughter Italian too somewhere.....

Tracy

#20 ·
Here is Sugar hours before kidding this spring. She was a 9-11 pound a day milker as a second freshener. Not a great pic angle but she really does fill a pail as do her sisters. Not show goats, for sure, but lots of milk.

I have 2 doelings from her by Kelton. They look just like mom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.