milk amounts

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Anybody have a UDDER photo of a doe that milks 12M , before milking ?

and.......

for us that dont get appraisals .... approximately how much amount of milk in Qt's and gallon's is the amount of milk per milking ? :D

2. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

8 pounds is 1 gallon

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Anybody have a UDDER photo of a doe that milks 12M , before milking ?

Sorry don't get this...Vicki

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Do you mean 12 lbs?

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Yep, I see now ,your saying a 12M is a doe that produces 12 pounds approx. of milk per day or 1 & 1/2 gallons of milk per day ??

I still would like to see the udder on a doe that milks that much before milking :D

Show me that BIG udder :laughcry

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Are you asking what a 12*M is?

When a doe has a number after her name (in this case a 12*M) is means that the doe is the 12th generation to have earned her milk star. The number of stars indicate the number of consecutive generations of females in the immediate background that have qualified. For example: 1*M indicates that the doe has qualified by meeting Advanced Registry or ST requirements and that her dam has no production record; 2*M indicates a qualified tested doe with a 1*M dam; 3*M indicates a qualified doe with a 2*M dam and a 1*M grandam, etc.

Make sense?

Sara

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Maybe she's thinking 12M and meaning 12lb?? and maybe what she really wants to see is Agathas udder after 12 hours.. ? :biggrin

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:blush

9. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Linda,
    Milk is weighed on a hanging dairy scale in a pail that was weighed before, the scale has two hands so you can see "0" and the tare weight of the pail when empty. Milk weighs 8.6 pounds per gallon, this is a quicker, more accurate way to record milk production than having to measure by eye.
    What a "good" milk doe produces is a relevant term, everyone has their own management factors that play into what their best does produce.
    I don't know if many take udder pictures at 12 hours and it would be irrevelant anyway and udders are different. Some may be big but "meaty" and produce less milk than a smaller more pliable udder.
    Tim

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Ok here is one of my LM doe's ,she gave about 1 gal. a day at time of photo ,she freshened in late Feb. as I remember. Her udder is deep,is she about average for a fair/good milker ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

11. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Linda,
    How long had she been fresh at the time of the photo? I believe she gives about a gallon a day. How many freshenings has she had?
    Tim

12. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

she kidded in Feb 2007 and the photo was taken in April 2007, her daughter doe is my avatar and she is 2 with 2 freshening and has the same udder type.

13. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have a couple of udder pictures. Finesse milked over 20 pounds a day on a regular basis. She is the black doe.
    Adah milked around 14-16 pounds a day.

14. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Zuna was a heavy milker, right at 2 gallons a day or about 16 pounds.

15. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:shocked :milk WHOA !!!!!!!!! NOW thats a BIG udder ! Heck I could get by with 2 Alpines or just 1 with that udder !! I could make LOTS of cheese ! WOW !
    Those udders look great too, nice tight high full udders with well placed nice size teats !!WONDERFUL ! THANKS Chris !!

16. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Holy Cow ! Nice pictures . But I keep feeling bad for the girls ...it must be awful hard to walk .

17. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

They look like plastic surgery gone horribly wrong....but in a good way....I think. Like too big of implants :D

Those are some HUGE udders!

18. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

Hmm, I know I have a rear shot of Agatha somewhere on a disk -- I've been looking for it. Until I can find it -- here's a side shot.

[​IMG]

This second shot is the YEARLING doe in my avatar! Even though she didn't freshen until the end of June, she has still made her milking star. I think she peaked at 10.5 lbs. Not bad for a baby! Though her teat placement could be further in, I'm not going to throw her away for that.

[​IMG]

I'll keep looking for Aggie, and I have a great shot of her daughter Italian too somewhere.....

Tracy

19. KUrby

KUrby New Member

All I can say is WOW!
    K

20. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Here is Sugar hours before kidding this spring. She was a 9-11 pound a day milker as a second freshener. Not a great pic angle but she really does fill a pail as do her sisters. Not show goats, for sure, but lots of milk.

I have 2 doelings from her by Kelton. They look just like mom.

[​IMG]