microscopes

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Ok I saw the link in goatkeeping. But what are the must haves for fecals including coccidia and seeing sperm . I see some good deals on ebay but not sure what I need.

Thanks , Patty

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Hi Patty, I'll be the first to tell you that Kaye is the AI queen and likes counting wiggle tails, so you'll need to talk with her about that.
    But for fecal searches, I think that about 400x is about as high as you need.......mine is a 40x1600 power, and Kaye said that I have more than enough to do it all.
    Getting one with a mechanical stage is very important, as this gives you a better chance at counting eggs in a grid type pattern, and a lesser chance that you will miss something on the slide. Most people prefer the binocs over the monocs., as it lets you look with both eyes at the same time.
    You will need slides also.........I'm almost sure that V. and many others on here use the McMaster slides, and they all have high marks for how well they work
    Kaye , I think is still on the old style slides and slide covers, like I am here. I get what I want out of this method, but will probably at some point in time get with McMaster program since many are giving it high marks.

This is a good time to run this thread, as many other probably have similar questions.....and worm season is just around the corner now.

Hope this helped some.....Whim

3. BethW

BethW New Member

What do you all think of the Intel Play microscope? I've heard of others using it and it interested me since you can download the images to the computer via USB. I was thinking for newbies like me that it'd be nice to be able to send/post pics for a pro to confirm what I was seeing.

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I hope to be ordering a camera for mine before much longer......I've been saving a little money for it because good ones are fairly expensive. My biggest problem was that when I bought my micro, most of the camera's wasn't compatable with Vista yet........so as a tip....check and make sure whether or not it will work with your computer. I haven't looked at the Intel Mic. , so I can't make a call on that one.

Edit.......I did a quick google On the Intel, and got lots of red flags about software troubles and other problems.....you may want to look into this deeper before trying one of these. Don't know ?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just have a cheap o kids microscope which works for normal cocci and worms
    As a side note I just saw some slides from a woman who just put her digital camera up against the eye piece and snapped pictures worked great

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sondra...I tried that with 2 different cams....it didn't work for me. Auto focus keeps messing it up, and manual focus wouldn't work for me either.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't know I have never tried it or saw the need for a camera my self but I saw her pictures. and were pretty darn good. all depends on the camera I would guess

8. BethW

BethW New Member

Thanks Whim, I hadn't heard about the software issues. I have a Mac and I'm not sure they're compatible anyway.

I'm just skeered to do my own fecals without having a pro double checking what I'm looking at. I can just see myself deworming after very high levels of...air bubbles. :sigh

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Beth, you won't be that far off.......If by chance you are in good with your vet., they may very well let you go back to the lab and take a look at some eggs......Doing fecals is not rocket science by no means, so no reason to be scared. It's really more scary for me to pure down wormers just because it feels good, than to pure it down when a fecal count tells me to.
    In young goats, just knowing whether you need to be treating for worm problems or cocci problems is a big step in keeping your kids healthy........they are easily seen separate with a micro, and you can identify them before they start causing severe illness in your animals.