Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a microscope to learn how to do my own fecals (finally).

Could any "experienced" person tell me if a monocular microscope, unknown brand, 5x 900x would be suitable? There is an ad with one listed for an unbelieveably low price and I would love to jump on it if it would work for me. Comes with a 3way projector hood and some slides as well.

Thanks for any input!

G

·
For running fecals....this one is in that range to be fine........I do open searches around 160X.....and sometimes run up to about 400X if wanting a real good look at one particular egg.

Whim

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am wanting to do fecals too. I am assuming I need one w/ a light? (is that a stupid question? I don't know much about microscopes, so maybe they all come w/ a light) :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes, you definately need a light. By the way, a binocular will be easier to use than a monocular. 5x-900x is a plenty big range, doing fecals I use 10x to 400x, don't need anything higher. It will take a while to get a feel for any microscope if you are new to them though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
mill-valley said:
Yes, you definately need a light. By the way, a binocular will be easier to use than a monocular. 5x-900x is a plenty big range, doing fecals I use 10x to 400x, don't need anything higher. It will take a while to get a feel for any microscope if you are new to them though.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont know what you want to spend , but we got a good quality one at ebay. Do a search on vet. microscopes. The company sells lots of microscopes and has several different kinds. We have been very happy with ours. Hope that helps.

G

·
I too got my microscope off eBay. The seller was Precision World. I am very happy with the microscope and with the service I received from the seller.

Sara

G

·
P.W. on ebay here also. Just another tip besides getting one with a light. You will be much happier with one that has a 3D mechanical table (stage) also.......you will be able to do searches in an X -Y pattern, and will cover the slide that you are looking at in a more precise manner.

Whim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It figures the one I saw listed for sale probably wouldn't work. It was only $10! Too good to be true. I'm not positive but don't believe it had a light. Checking with the seller on that now.

G

·
Would be my luck toooo. Just as a note; Some of these folks has suggested before, that you can get some good deals from pawn shops around medical schools sometimes. I'm not real close to a big school here, but did keep a check with the 3 pawn shops in town for a while.....they never had one .....so I just ordered mine, as it was time of the year when worms/cocci could have been getting to be a problem.

As another personal note....it cost me a couple hundred bucks, and I usually run a very small herd, (6 or less).....it was the best money that I have spent, as now I don't have to shoot in the dark wondering about worming and such.....also not burning gas and time running back and forth to the vets office, and on top of that , paying for each fecal that he run also......no doubt in my mind that mine paid for itself the first year I had it.

Keep looking, Whim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts