MICROSCOPE ADVICE

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Alpine Haven Farm, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Alpine Haven Farm

Alpine Haven Farm New Member

I'm looking to get a microscope to learn how to do my own fecals (finally).

Could any "experienced" person tell me if a monocular microscope, unknown brand, 5x 900x would be suitable? There is an ad with one listed for an unbelieveably low price and I would love to jump on it if it would work for me. Comes with a 3way projector hood and some slides as well.

Thanks for any input!

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

For running fecals....this one is in that range to be fine........I do open searches around 160X.....and sometimes run up to about 400X if wanting a real good look at one particular egg.

Whim

3. Janelle

Janelle New Member

I am wanting to do fecals too. I am assuming I need one w/ a light? (is that a stupid question? I don't know much about microscopes, so maybe they all come w/ a light) :)

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Yes, you definately need a light. By the way, a binocular will be easier to use than a monocular. 5x-900x is a plenty big range, doing fecals I use 10x to 400x, don't need anything higher. It will take a while to get a feel for any microscope if you are new to them though.

5. Janelle

Janelle New Member

Thanks

6. mlangfus

mlangfus New Member

Dont know what you want to spend , but we got a good quality one at ebay. Do a search on vet. microscopes. The company sells lots of microscopes and has several different kinds. We have been very happy with ours. Hope that helps.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I too got my microscope off eBay. The seller was Precision World. I am very happy with the microscope and with the service I received from the seller.

Sara

8. mlangfus

mlangfus New Member

Precision World is who we got ours from also.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

P.W. on ebay here also. Just another tip besides getting one with a light. You will be much happier with one that has a 3D mechanical table (stage) also.......you will be able to do searches in an X -Y pattern, and will cover the slide that you are looking at in a more precise manner.

Whim

10. Alpine Haven Farm

Alpine Haven Farm New Member

It figures the one I saw listed for sale probably wouldn't work. It was only $10! Too good to be true. I'm not positive but don't believe it had a light. Checking with the seller on that now.

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Would be my luck toooo. Just as a note; Some of these folks has suggested before, that you can get some good deals from pawn shops around medical schools sometimes. I'm not real close to a big school here, but did keep a check with the 3 pawn shops in town for a while.....they never had one .....so I just ordered mine, as it was time of the year when worms/cocci could have been getting to be a problem.

As another personal note....it cost me a couple hundred bucks, and I usually run a very small herd, (6 or less).....it was the best money that I have spent, as now I don't have to shoot in the dark wondering about worming and such.....also not burning gas and time running back and forth to the vets office, and on top of that , paying for each fecal that he run also......no doubt in my mind that mine paid for itself the first year I had it.

Keep looking, Whim