Metritis?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Blue Oak Ranch, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch New Member

Hey everyone! Hope all of you have had a good kidding season. I've been busy with mine!

I have a first freshener, a Mini Nubian, that had quads. Three surprisingly strong and healthy - but one buckling was born dead, about 2 weeks dead. Very, very dead.

Dead fetus came out fine and whole, no complications there - but she had a hard time passing the rotten placenta. She was biting it off at her vulva the next morning, and I figured a lot was still left inside. I put her on the stand and wrapped the end of the placenta with paper towel. What I was hoping for, and succeeded at, was giving the placenta enough weight to finish coming out. As the placenta eased out, I wrapped it with more paper towels to soak up the fluids and keep the placenta from breaking. After about 6 hours (she fell asleep standing up on the stand a few times), the placenta came out, I think pretty intact. Some of the amniotic fluid was still balled up in it, and the smell was rather, um, intense. Vultures were circling the pasture and barn.

The post-birthing discharge was a bit stinky for the first day, then got to smelling like normal discharge. Since she's started her lochia about 2 days ago, it has been whitish and a bit scary looking - but smells entirely normal (I have a sensitive nose, I can smell a doe in heat from her discharge).

I started her on Pen G after the birth, but more as a precaution. She is happy, temp normal, eating and drinking and milking fine, grazing with the others. The whitish lochia has me really concerned, though. What more should I do for her?

Thanks, and cheers!

Katherine

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would have the pennicillin on a high dose 3cc per 50 pounds subq every 12 hours for at least 10 days, banamine for 6 days. You just don't want that cervic closing with an infection brewing in their for next year or scar tissue (the banamine will help with that). If you are concerned at all that there may be more left in the uterus, lutelyse her. If you have the ability, use an AI speculum and thread a catheter up her and infuse her with tetracycline/sterile water.

I do the ick factor, and a dead kid and this placenta is the ick factor for me. You get the works, the above, afterwards.

The next time you do this placenta thing, give her about 1/4 cc oxytocin every 2 hours, it will help this whole thing pass much quicker. But....the smell really has nothing to do with infection, it's what happens to placentas that get any oxygen. Vicki

3. Blue Oak Ranch

Blue Oak Ranch New Member

Thanks, Vicki! You're a godsend. I've been so worried about her. I will up her dosage of Pen G.

Cheers!

Katherine