meningeal worm

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pokyone42, Jul 3, 2008.

1. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

It has been a VERY wet couple of months,... and deer and snails are EVERYWHERE!
    I am afraid that we are having a meningeal worm problem. No neurological signs yet, but 3 does suddenly have developed small weird lumps on the shoulders, and then (as best as I can describe it) line-bumps below them them.. about an inch or so long..........One has a half-dollar sized chewed area on her side. We started the 3 day course of Ivermectin injections yesterday... OH MY LORD! Those poor gals! We gave 3 times the dose... (so 6 mls. per 100 pounds, sub-q...) for the three who have these weird bumps and line bumps... we did it again today, and will again, tomorrow......They reacted horribly, but thanks to YOU folks, we expected it, or I would have been a panicking moron, and giving all of them Epinephrine...thinking they were all dying... lol....
    We did the regular prevention of 2 cc's per 100 on the rest of the herd...and will do that once a month... are we correct? I also ordered the enbendazole to follow up with for the 5 days after the Ivermectin on the 3 does.. any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ok I will say this straight up. If you are getting this 3 times in a row or 3 days of Ivermectin shots and other wormers etc...and the photos of those goats on the other thread is what you get, well geeze!

I know I gave one injections, started on banamine and dex because she was down, used naxcel and a sulfa because of oppotunistic cocci and pnemonia. When Kaye called me she also used the Ivermectin once and we neither one of us had all those subsequent things happen. Vicki

3. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Okay. I think I got it......... No more Ivermectin....... for now. Does are good, but do you reccomend the fenbendazole for 5 days? ( I was under the impression that 3 times the normal dosage of Ivermectin for 3 days sub-q, and then 5 days of double the fenbendazole was the treatment......... I guess I screwed up.. my poor ladies...........fortunately they are okay.............thank you in advance....

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Do not use another wormer after the 1. <ONE> shot of Ivomectin. Dex and/or banamine should be used to take down the inflamation caused in the spinal area.

I've seen does that had reactions to the Ivomec SQ injections. Not for deer worm...just plain worming. The skin sloughed in the area of the injection.
    BUT.. Since I didn't know the owner's management...changed needles between goats, dropping the needle in the dirt and wiping before using again..??? I can't really say if it was from the injections or the technique? Just enough scar tissue to make me want to use it orally.
    Kaye

5. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Thank you for the help. The injection sites look fine at this point. I was very careful.. (different syringe for all, etc.) Hopefully, they will be fine. As for the Banamine... no one has any neurological symptoms..should I still use it, or only use it if signs develop? Thanks.

6. On the first case I treated, the doe ended up getting both Ivermectin orally and then Ivermect Plus injected the next day. The other two only received the one shot of Ivermect Plus and then the Banamine and Dex shots (those were given daily).
    The does I treated pulled through and have all three delivered kids since (twin bucks, twin does, single doe). No issues beyond the damage done by the worm itself.

7. NubianSoaps.com

I have no idea really, I know I would use the whole protocoal instead of waiting for symptoms, although I think Kaye didn't and her buck was fine. I do think the trick is the Ivermectin used injected...early. Vicki

8. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Thank you~ All of the help and advice is much appreciated.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I agree with Vicki. I noticed my buck dragging his back feet (just the toes)...kind of a gaited pace one evening...the next morning he was down and couldn't get up. When you did get him on his feet, he would sway, stagger and set back on his hocks. I immediately called Vicki!
    I gave him the ivomec injected (1 shot SQ in two different places), Dexamethasone, and 1/2 dose of banamine(12 hrs. apart for two days) the dex he got twice a day. He was able to get to his feet on day 2...though unsteady but improved daily until his gait is normal.
    Kaye

10. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Thanks... The 3 are now on Banamine and Dex...

11. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Do you think those reactions on that website were more from the ivermectin shots, rather than the deer worm itself?

On the one buck, his lumps are looking more like a scab that is going to flake away, and the swelling in the tracks have all gone down. But it doesn't look anything like those pictures.

One of my Kinder does came into heat yesterday, so we bred him to her. We noticed his right leg went out from under him, so I think he was more affected than we first thought.

12. NubianSoaps.com

I would just wonder if they didn't put something onto these wounds. Amber self mutilated herself and they were like saucer (cup and saucer) size areas she literally chewed her hide off, even then it didn't look like this but perhaps it's the photo. But it was only where she could reach being down, and chewing, only the banamine stopped her, that and keeping her head tied at night clipped forward, since she could really move she could move her self to chew. The ones she couldn't reach looked just like a cigarette burn. But that only lasted a few days. These places on these does are all over and not even in places a goat could chew. Or do you think they debreeded the areas?

Yes Amber's hair grew back, she was this pretty amber color who was black when shaved, she was my first spotted goat after this with spots of white when shaved :)

I really can't get over the photos. Vicki

13. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Yeah, the photos are amazingly ugly. But it is very unlike anything I have heard of personally. Since we are in a a deer zone, I know of four local herds who have had this and none of their goats have ever had a reaction like those pictures. I don't think bloody weeping sores is typical of this problem.

It really must affect different goats differently, none of my goats have intense itching, and they are not chewing themselves either. They rub a little bit, but I haven't seen them biting at themselves.