Melt and Pour

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

If I see these ingredients on a label is it most likely melt and pour? Or do some people really add this stuff to their CP soap?

Sorbitol, Sorbitan oleate, and Soy bean protein

Do we have any M&P soapers here? If so, do you find it easier to color? And easier for using in fancy molds? Do you have more time to play with it?

I'm not considering switching, I will always have goat milk soap as my main product. But I'm wanting to add some visual interest to my table and I'm looking at trying M&P for that.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Not sure why any soap would be labeled as such, unless it is making cosmetic claims.

Melt and pour is nothing like what we do. Passed the synthetic nature of the beast is a product that takes alot more skill level than I have. I have done melt and pour several times, mostly in demo's to the very young or the MHMR adults in my area. They are now going to start rebatching my soap instead of melt and pour, it sold better for them. Melt and pour is a true art, yes we can make some very pretty soap but nothing like you can with melt and pour. Vicki

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh wow, so you're saying M&P is MORE difficult? Yikes. Oh well, I'd still like to experiment with it some and see what it's like to work with.

4. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I say experiment with it and get your itch over with. The only thing easier about melt n pour is it is so very easy to color. At least for me it was. BUT after it hardens and cures you will find that it feels worse than regular store bought soap on your skin. Do you remember about two swaps back I did the pure white snowflakes. Everyone wanted to know how I got my soap so white. Well try washing with it....yucky. I think it will bring sales down cause then customers are comparing the melt n pour to what you make, and they won't think so highly of your artisan soap. Just my opnion.

There is only one thing I would consider melt n pour for and that is the clear to put the little toys in for children, like fish in a bag, or frog in a bag. Buy remember whenever I have used the clear glycerin soap melt n pour, it always sweats and feels nasty. Reminds me of Vicki's sweating concrete floor!

I have seen a recipe where you can make your own glycerin soap from scratch, it is sorta clear, it is kinda amber color when it comes out. I have a recipe somewhere in an old soap book if you would like to experiment with it.

Try one batch of melt n pour and then see for yourself if you like it.

Sheryl