Meds for newly purchased bred does

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I just purchased a couple of does. One is 90 days bred the other is just over 30 days bred. Per Sondra's advice I have isolated them from the rest of the herd and have wormed with cydectin (quest), and am pulling blood for preg and CAE testing today.

The does are beautiful and in great shape, one is a first freshener, the other is a 4th freshener.

I asked the prior owner about vaccinations and they gave me the natural goat raising story, they use CDT antitoxin if ever needed rather than the vaccination they worm twice yearly in the spring and in the fall. But that is it.

I have no complaints about the condition of the goats as they appear to be in great shape, hoofs trimmed clean shiny coats, bright eyes, vigorous eaters etc.

My question is what meds do I need to give these goats to prepare them for kidding and to build up their immunity. Because they are pregnant are there any other precautions you would suggest.

Thanks in advance

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I don't care to overmedicate bred does (or any goat for that matter). I can only tell you how I'd do it if I bought bred does. You've wormed them and that's something I do. I'd have some C&D antitoxin on hand. When the does are 6 weeks from kidding, I'd give the CDT shot. I generally buy non bred does and they are wormed and receive their CDT shot the day I get them. I also check them over for lice and dust them if necessary. You can use livestock dust on bred does. I have on hand most of the other meds folks on this forum have, but only give them on an as needed basis. Kathie

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

These goats have never had the series of CD/T so they would get that and the series of lysign/ plus the worming which you have done and BoSE shot now and then again a week or 2 before freshening. I also copper bolus then follow Sue Reith's article on feeding for hypocalcimia in Goat 101 I am not sure abt a follow up shot of CD/T on the 90 day bred doe but the 30 day I would probably give the booster shot 2 weeks to 30 days before
    freshening

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CONGRATULATIONS on you new does.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I worm, test, bo-se, give the first vaccination of CD&T, then in 10 days worm, then in 21 days the second CD&T, worm. By then you have the test results back and they can start having day visits with your goats...no eating or night visits until they are acclimated and there isn't alot of fighting going on. I would not want a doe who is 30 days bred figting with older does or a doe who then is 30 to 40 days from her due date fighting either.

Redo the bo-se when the does are less than 2 weeks to kidding, and then worm the day they kid.

If you have lungworms, liverflukes, and as far north as you are I would have one of my winter wormings on these and the whole herd be with Ivermectin Plus (even the next two 10 day apart wormings may be smart). I would use the cydectin like Sondra told you (quest) and not Ivermectin plus on the doe who is very early bred.

You can add your hay and alfalfa pellets or whatever form of calcium you use and your minerals to them...just be very slow about moving them to new grain, handful increases slowly. Vicki oh and congrats on your new does!

6. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I looked on Jeffers and at my local feed store and could not seem to find ivermectin plus. Is it an injectable or a gel?

I found Noromectin plus:

Noromectin Plus Injection (0031612)
    Noromectin Plus Injection, 500 ml.|1% w/v ivermectin plus 10% w/v Clorsulon. Provides highly effective control of adult liver flukes plus roundworms, lungworms, grubs, lice ,and mange mites. For use in beef cattle and non-lactating dairy cattle. Dosage 1 ml. SQ per 110 lbs.

I also found

IVOMEC® Plus Injectable for Cattle (17180)
    Ivermectrin 1% and Clorsulon 10% (Merial) Only IVOMEC® Plus wormer kills more types of parasites in a single dose, including internal AND external parasites AND liver flukes. Administer 1 ml per 110 lb body weight SQ only. Not approved for use in female dairy cattle of breeding age. 56-day slaughter withdrawal for cattle. Parasites controlled include: Liver flukes Gastrointestinal roundworms Lungworms Grubs Sucking lice Sarcoptic and Psoroptic mange mites IVOMEC 1% and IVOMEC Plus are active against (Dictyocaulus viviparus) and (Ostertagia ostertagi) for 21 days after treatment and (Haemonchus placei), (Trichostrongylus axei), (Cooperia punctaia), (Cooperia oncophora) and (Oesophogostomum) radiatum for 14 days after treatment in cattle.

Should I use one of these or should I worm with quest plus as I have in the past?

7. coso

coso Guest

Both of these are ivermectrin plus just different brand names. You want the injectable. Just use it orally per 101.

8. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I have read two different dosages in the archives for 1% ivermectin injectable.

1cc/30 lbs

and

1cc/50 lbs which is correct?

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I beleive it is 1cc per 30 lbs. Kaye?

10. shawhee

shawhee Member

That is what I used was per 30 lbs

11. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

It was suggested to me that you use it at a dose of 1cc per 30lbs. And congrats on your new ones! :)

12. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

In 101 the dosage says 30 lbs however there were two other threads that said 50 I was a little confused and I wanted to make sure to get it right!

I am excited about the new does. I will be picking up two more LaManchas does from Washington and another MiniMancha buck from Arizona in late February, then I will be set . . . at least for now.

Thanks for the help