medicated feed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janettemoore, Sep 6, 2008.

1. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

I have a couple does, not bred, in the pen with my young 4-5 mo. old doe kids. I want to feed medicated feed to them. Will that be o.k. for the 2 year old does? Also same question about adult bucks and buck kids? Thanks.

Janette

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Right now you can feed everybody a medicated meat goat pellet and hay. Growing doelings also need some alfalfa pellets for calcium to build good bones. When the does are bred you can add alfalfa pellets to their diet (calcium for them and their growing babies) 2 months before your does are going to kid you can start slowly switching them over to what you are going to use for their dairy ration, either a dry horse grain, a lactation feed or whatever you are planning on using and continue their alfalfa pellets also. You can't feed the medicated pellets to a goat that you are milking for human consumption. I keep my bucks on the medicated meat goat pellet and hay. They also need to have a good loose mineral out for them all the time. I have Alpines also. You have to keep their calcium intake up because they are high producers.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't forget if you feed grain to your bucks then it needs to have AC in it also

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also that the kids have to be consuming 1 pound for every 30 to 50 pounds of body weight or the cocci med in your grain will not work as prevention. And if you put free choice feed like this out so the younger kid have enough to eat your older does will get fat during this dry period. Perhaps a creep feeder, or a run in place where the little kids scan scoot under a board in the fence to come and eat in peace? Or taken into their own stall to eat as much as they want at night? vicki

5. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

O.k. THat helps. And Sondra (or someone).....what is AC?

Thanks. Janette

6. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

AC- ammonium chloride

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

AC is ammonium chloride. It's usually found in the medicated feed, but some folks use the kind you put in their water. Kathie

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

the reason you need it is because bucks can get urninary calculi when given grain. so just make sure it is in the grain you purchase