Meat yield?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by amyrob, Jan 8, 2009.

1. amyrob

amyrob Guest

On average, what kind of meat yield in pounds can be expected from a boer-what is optimal butcher age? I have a friend that didn't think that a large nubian wether would differ that much. We did 2 large nubian wethers this fall and got 55# of good grind from them total.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have never weighed it out mainly because I now butcher at 6 to 8 weeks old and just have them quartered. Am not going to feed those I am culling anymore. But believe there is quite a lot of difference in the quanity of meat you will get out of a boer

3. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

I think alot of the weight amounts would vary depending on if you butcher the meat and leave the bones in or you debone everything. The majority of mammals, i.e. cow, pig, lamb will give you a 50-60% ratio of meat with the bones still in the cuts. I'm sure a boer would give you quite a bit greater percentage of meat than a nubian even a well fed fat nubian.

Ray

4. Goat Land

Goat Land New Member

I think it is around 40 - 50% without the bones for a Boer. I also think you would get more meat out of a Boer then a Nubian.

Autumn

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

One of the mods can you forward the photo of the boer and nubian (adult) meat carcass photos stored in our hidden section? I think most are suprised by the amounts of meat the Nubian has in comparison to the boer, mostly because of length of body....Thanks...Vicki

6. amyrob

amyrob Guest

Sondra, if you sent something, all I saw was a red X. Can you email it to me if it is the hanging pics?

7. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

We took a 253lb "LaBoer" yearling wether to the butcher last week. He had excellent muscle on his loins and hindquarters. He also had a decent brisket on him, but he had a lot of fat on his carcass. This will be our first test goat to see if I like the meat, and I am sharing half of him with a friend. We are having all of the regular cuts done as well as some smoked ring bologna, ground meat and sausage made. I asked them to trim the excess fat, and use beef fat in the ring bologna, and pork fat back in the sausage so that I have a product that I am familiar with.

I will let you know how much I get back weight wise!

Kelly :)

8. amyrob

amyrob Guest

That's a BIG boy. I can't wait to hear how it turns out. We have been trying to save $$$doing our own butchering. It;s not hard but very time consuming. I would be interested what the final cost is. I know getting the extra sausages and salamis made add to the cost. We have an electric grinder that comes in very handy. Have also made our own bulk sausage(not link) and ene smoked the hams for our ig this year. Deer season was a big fat zero here but the goats and pig made up for it. Oh yeak we did meat chickens too. The steer is next. So, no lacking in meat and I am VERY proud and happy to be raising our own to know what is in--OR not in- it . I'm sure you all get the drift.

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

It also may depend on the breed of boer that you have also. I know the boer meat goats that I have have lots more meat (muscle) on them than a dairy wether would. I had nubian/boer wether crosses and the boer wethers were larger at the same age. The nubian/boer wether crosses were taller and longer, but the boers had more body mass, wider, thicker carcasses with more muscling.

10. amyrob

amyrob Guest

I was able to see the pic, Sondra. I see the length in the nubian but the thickness in backstrap and leg especially on the boer. I guess I'll have to find out for myself someday when I start a boer herd. Until then.......it still tastes good to me. Just woild like to get the best bang for my feeding dollar and my time.

11. dq

dq New Member

not all boers are equal. there are plenty of boers out there that are boers in name only. a 60# 1/2 boer wether we butchered recently yeilded about 14.5 lb of meat with arm and legs roasts bone-in that was with my rather inexperienced hands cutting it up though. we only kept the back strap, tenderloin,roasts and ribs and just a little neck and misc meat. A gentleman just butchered one here yesterday and he took alot more of everything. he wanted everything but the intestines really. cleaned out the "stomach" and everything to take home and cook, including the skin after he burned the hair off. depends on what you consider "meat".

12. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Just to clarify, which is which in the pic?

13. goatkid

goatkid New Member

One year, we sent both Boer X and Nubian wethers to a professional butcher, as they were to be sold in our local health food store. They all dressed out at about 40%. We got the report, which was filled out on each goat, as what we were paid for was the meat. Kathie

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The doe at the left is a purebred Nubian 3 years old, the doe at the right is a purebred boer 3 years old. I do not have the text on the photo anymore, and can't find it anywhere, it used to be on our old site but it's gone now. Tamara was nice enough to have kept the photo but she also doesn't have the text. I contacted who I thought was the original poster but it wasn't her. Although she knows the photo.....Vicki

15. SheriM

SheriM Guest

May I join in on this one? I'm very new here but meat yield is something I do have some experience with. I raise mostly Boers but do have a few Nubians that I milk for soap making. A good Boer kid will dress out at about 50%. Nubians will be closer to 40%. The reason is the meat-to-bone ratio. The Boer were specifically bred to have a high meat-to-bone ratio...although, at the expense of milk production. In my experience, if I feed a Boer doe and and a Nubian doe the same amount of feed, the Boer will put on muscle, the Nubian will make milk. This is why a 1/2 Boer, 1/2 Nubian doe is my favorite commercial "meat maker". If bred to a Boer buck, the doe will have lots of milk for her 3/4 Boer kids and they grow like crazy.

16. amyrob

amyrob Guest

Sheri, is your avatar a pic of your half nub/half boer? Or one of the kids? Where do you live on Canada? I do want to get some boers but not yet....

17. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Vicki, this is what we had on Yahoo Groups: Goats Canada.

We took a 3/4 Boer 1/4 Saanen wether to the butcher this spring. He was just about 3 years old i believe and dressed out at 105 pounds without any bones. We took a Nubian X Boer wether who was 6 months old dam raised on a very small two year old FF, dressed out at 35 pounds without bones if I remember correctly. We paid $15 to have them both butchered and another $10 to have them all cut & wrapped.

18. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

Man, am I rather disappointed. I will say that goat meat is delicious. I really like the ring bologna, the sausage has more substance than pork sausage, but is really good. The chop meat is also great. However...our huge wether really packed down into a milk crate well :/

I stuck the crate on the scale, and it weighed 35lbs. I added the meaty leg bones and it weighed 45lbs. The butcher told me that they took off 75lbs of internal fat and 'rind'. There were literally 2" rinds of fat on the steaks when they were cut, which they trimmed for me. The back straps were so marbled with fat, I don't know how much actual meat there is on them, but at least they were substantial in length and weight. I guess I can crock pot them and just spoon off the fat as it rises.

I split the meat with our friend - it was $100 for everything, 6 rings of bologna, 8lbs of sausage, 12lbs of chop meat, the two back straps, 7 steaks (each only about the size of my palm and fingers combined), and 2lbs of cubed meat. Normally a goat butcher is the same price as a deer in our area- $60. The extra $40 was for the additional whole meat they added to the chop and sausage, and to make the rings since there was little 'straight meat' to work with. I would have loved to see him while he was still hanging to see the actual dressed carcass size, but they did keep the fat and showed me, in case I didn't believe them. Butcher was stunned to see the flanks only had a little ribbon of meat over the ribs, and she ground one whole HQ to come up with enough for the ground products.

I think next time I will try one of our home raised dairy wethers @ about 6 months of age, before they pack the weight on. Also, this wether was heavily grain fed because he was a petting zoo goat ::YIKES:: I mean I knew he was fat, but I didn't realize he was THAT fat. Now I fully understand what is meant when it is said that goats put on fat from the inside out. The amount of marbling is really incredible.

Kelly :)

P.S.
    But it IS delicious! Expensive, but very good.

19. amyrob

amyrob Guest

Wow, Kelly and Alex. Coulddn't have 2 more different situations/stories, huh? Alex, you got a great price on that butchering. Kelly, unfortunately, your processing is what got you in the wallet. We were given a grinder, so we grind our own. We have smoked and brined hams and also mixed the seasoning in for bulk sausage. Haven't gotten as far as stuffing it into links though. We have a local guy that cuts mostly wild game but will do other livestock as well. He will come to your house, do all the cutting and throw it into a bin for you to wrap. I think that is what we will do for our steer. He won't come, though until it is hung sufficiently for 2-3 weeks so it isn't too tough. He recommends we take a steak off of it every few days until it is how we want it, then call him to come.