Mayhem in the girls' dormitory

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BlueHeronFarm, Jun 22, 2008.

1. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Geez-o-Pete - I think at least half our does are in heat!

Last year I don't remember anyone going into heat until late August/early September - now they are mounting, rubbing, sniffing like crazy! And the buck - who is housed quite a way away these days, is stinking up a storm as well.

We have one doe due to kid any day now. One of the yearlings kept sniffing her rear and then rubbing her face all over it. Do they secrete different pheremones when they are near kidding and do the other does associate it with a buck? It is so weird.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

they give off smells as if in heat nearing end of pg. even the bucks will go after them.

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

All my girls have gone into heat this week too. My boys are starting to stink up a storm! I notice it seems after we have a dry spell and then a bunch of rain, it seems to trigger them to go into heat....atleast thats my theory! I have mostly nigies so they should cycle pretty much year round, but they tend to stop or not come into heat as strong if we are in a drought. We have had pretty regular afternoon t-storms the last couple weeks and are finally coming out of the drought...yay!

4. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Thankfully the saanens are behaving themselves here. I'm not ready for breeding season yet!

Leslie

5. Rose

Rose New Member

My Alpine doe went nuts like that right before my Nubian kidded. Looked like raging heat, but I think it was just hormone smell reaction.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:nooo ME EITHER!! I just finished kidding!
    Kaye

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Finished kiddin :laughcry My last one her is due July 3 and I am going to pick up 3 new ones today that are bred :crazy

Patty