May be kidding today

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Apr 23, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I've been waiting for Holly to go into labor for weeks, in and out of the kidding pen a few times. After a week of no signs, goo started coming from her vulva again. When she stands up her vulva looks normal, but when she is laying down there is a mass of red (fleshlike?) protruding. Put her in the kidding pen and against her will gloved up and went in a bit. I could get most of my hand inside of her, I have very small hand though. I didn't feel anything at all, of course she was fighting and trying to get away, so I wasn't able to really take my time. What do you all think?

Thank ;you,

Tiffany

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Did she push against your hand, like barring down? If not I would not coop her up in a kidding pen yet.

A doe can have some prolapse when they lie down, especially older does, it's normal...as long as when they stand up it looks perfectly normal.

How full is her udder? Until it is full and tight and shiney she isn't going to kid. What's her tail look like? Until the ligiments (thurls) are gone that lets her wag her tail, she can't kid...it's as if they have lost control of the tail and it sort of flops over their rump. Vicki

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I don't think she pushed against my hand, she was too busy trying to get away from me. She is a FF and her udder is full, but not so full it is shiny. Her ligaments are still there. I let her out into the little yard attached to the kidding pen. I watch her a bit longer then let into the pasture if nothing else happens.

Thank you Vicki!

Tiffany