Maximizing Colostrum Yield

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Linda Carney, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

How do you all collect and distribute your colostrum for newborn kids?

Last year I heat treated every drop of colostrum in a thermos. However I have one doe that is milking over, she's a LaMancha, if I continue to milk her I understand that I will not have any colostrum from her for her kids. She is not due until January. I have another doe due this month --the 22nd, she has been on my place longer and I would like the newborns to receive some of her colostrum because of the immunities.

1- How much colostrum does each kid need during the first few hours of life?

2- How much of the first three days milk can legitimately be saved and considered colostrum that has substantial benefits for a newborn?

Someone had said that pouring heat treated colostrum into bottles in layers was a good way to assure that individual does could provide immunities from their illnesses etc. to the next generation. I would like to do mine in layers also, but want the quality to be their and hopefully be able to get ahead on the quantity -- so that I am no longer in a position that I have to heat treat before the babies can eat.

I appreciate your comments.

Linda Carney
    Cedar Leaf Nubians
    Coldspring, Texas

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

older does have the best colostrum for does and bucks you are going to keep I wouldn't layer it but give 1st freshener's to bucks not keeping or sell it. 1st day's collection is best and then 2nd day by 3rd day you might as well give it to the dog or go ahead and feed it to those who have already had the 1st days.
    10% of their body weight at birth is how much they need in the 1st 12 hrs keeping in mind that after 24 hrs they lose the ability to absorb the colostrum to do anygood at all so you are wasting any excess you give after that.

3. Melissa

Melissa New Member

okay help me out, say a kid is 8lbs at birth what is this in oz.? I never was any good at conversions.

-Melissa

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Ashley, how did you get 12.8?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

16oz in a lb 8x 16 is 128 oz x .10 = 12.8

7. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Okay, so if a Mini Nubian kid is only 4 lbs at birth, then over the first 12 hours of the kids life, I would give them 6 oz (in several different feedings, of course)? Seems like a small amount to me, but, you'll are probably right!

Suriyah

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When I milk out an older doe, I fill as many bottles, about half full of her colostrum (20 ounce water bottles) until I have enough saved for all the kids being born...so say 21 does are kidding I would put away at least 60 bottles. Then the next older doe kids, I would fill them up more, and so on and so on. Not that I don't use colostrum from the kids dam on them, or use 2nd and thrid freshening does colostrum but that first important innoculation of colostrum in the first 12 hours comes from my older does. I don't distinguish from kept or sold kids, because I really never know, except bucks who is staying and who is going right off. I also have plenty of frozen from March for all the April kids born. This way I can provide the best immunity even to folks who buy my kids. I have heard alot, my does or bucks going into others farms and everyone but my goat is sick from going to the fair. I know it's because I do my colostrum like this and also vaccinate. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh when I was talking abt buck I don't keep those here all go for our own meat or dogs.

10. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

So Vicki, the colostrum that you use is from the first 2 days? Heat treated then distributed into bottles, then frozen?

Linda

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No the only colostrum I use on my place is from the first 12 hours of milkings, in which with my older does I try to do about 2 or even 3, keeping them empty. The rest is 4 sale until 24 hours. The first set of kids does get heattreated transitional milk, milk from 24 to 48 hours, otherwise I would have to feed frozen milk or grocery store milk, so I just feed what is free, since I can't sell transitional milk. Vicki

12. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

Thank you for the clarification, you have to get tired of going over this again and again -- I feel like a little child who has to hear the story again and again!

I am continually grateful that so many are willing to ask questions -- I learn so much from each post....

Linda