mastitis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by michelle, Jan 3, 2009.

1. michelle

michelle New Member

Hi...My name is Michelle, and I'm new to the forum and to dairy goats.
    I fear my bred doe may have mastitis...I stopped milking her 5 days ago in an attempt to dry her off. I've read that if she still has pressure in the udder after 4-5 days, I should milk her out...this evening I tried to milk her and her right side will not milk...the left side milked fine...there seems to be a lot of pressure in the right side...I tried warm compress...what should I do....

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

massage and warm compresses lots of Vit C and get her milked out keep a very clean sample and send in for tests after which start treatment which in in a sticky in Goat 101
    but you do need to know what type if indeed it is mastitis.
    Also check and see that it isn't just a plug in the end of that teat but milk her and work with her 4 and 5 times a day.

3. michelle

michelle New Member

I was able to milk her out this morning...thankfully...Would you suggest I use Dry Cow at this point?

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

When you milked her out, were there any clumps? stringy's? anything unusual about it? If it looked normal and it was just the plug that was difficult to remove, using a Dry Cow wouldn't hurt. However, if there was something, then as Sondra suggested, you'll want to find out what kind of staff-infection she has.

5. michelle

michelle New Member

Well, I was able to milk her out on Sunday Morning, the milk was normal...no lumps, etc. I did not use dry cow. Her udder looked good and did not fill back up...until this morning(Wed)! She looks full, but not completly...should I milk her out again? Thank You So Much for your help!!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ok first hope your not now giving her grain
    2nd I would milk her out on the ground not on a milk stand just tie her to the fence milk just enough to relieve pressure.
    If your going to use dry cow then (and I don't know if this is correct so pm Vicki or Kaye and ask.) but think you wait until she isn't filling up, then milk her out completly and dry cow or what ever your going to use.
    just make sure she doesn't have mastitis. now.

7. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

(correct me if I am wrong) Dry cow treatment has two different "treatments" based on the same drug. Today is made to be infused and milked out the next day or in 12 hours. Tomorrow is made to be infused and left in the udder until the cow/goat freshens again. I have only used tomorrow in my does as this fall was my first case of mastitis in my herd. I have seen a lot of cases of it in cattle, the worst I have seen it as was years ago... I was the "calf kid" :) and noticed under one of the cows she was dripping cheese! That was some chunky stuff that came out of her. ;)

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Correct, most come in a wet cow and a dry cow variety, rarely is it the same drug or carrier though. I always use a dry cow even for treating mastitis when the doe is in milk, it's usually stronger and because of the carrier stays in the udder longer....which is more important to me than milk withdrawal if I have to treat it I want it gone with a working udder or I would just opt to put the doe down. vicki

9. michelle

michelle New Member

OK...thanks...I'm not giving her grain, and I feel fairly sure she doesn't have mastitis. I think the teat was plugged, and I over reacted!

10. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Vicki,
    How does the dry treatment stay in the udder longer? My understanding is that the dry treatment is released slower, thus in the system longer. Hence using it in a dry doe. That because you are milking the doe it does not stay in the udder long enough to work.
    Whereas the lactating formula goes in the system faster because they will be milked every 12 hours.
    Les