Mastitis...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I am so upset, I think my one of my Alpines has mastitis. I was late milking her yesterday. We were out for New Years Eve and I knew I would be back about an hour later than I usually milk. I didn't think the hour would make much of a difference. Then my car wouldn't start and I ended up being 2 hours late for milking. I milked and everyone seemed fine. Then last night as I was milking Charity, she had a lump of milk come out of one of her teats. Crap. I did a CMT and there was VERY slight gelling if any. I went ahead and infused her with Today. This morning she had more lumps in both sides and her udder is hard. I infused her again. Guess I need to call the vet and see if I can get some Naxcel.

Did being late milking her cause this? She was vaccinated with Lysigin in October and I've been using Blockade as a teat dip. I am really upset about this. I was going to start drying her up soon. Can I do that now? Or should I keep milking her until I get this figured out?

Tiffany

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

believe drug of choice is gent hopefully Kaye or Vicki will see this.

3. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I had a doe get mastitis just when she was due to be dried off. She was milking drops but started to get lumps, treated her for a week and test came back clean. I infused her with tomorrow and she is due in just over a month and is starting to bag up again. Such a nice thing when she freshened with no milk this year, alfalfa pellets sure do help. :)

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

No, you being 2 hrs. late to milk this time of year and her drying up wouldn't have caused the mastitis. She probably had a sub-clinical case and it's just now breaking out.

Do not dry this doe up until you have cured the mastitis. I would get to the vet and get some Pirsue. Treat her twice a day for 3 days, along with the Naxcel given SQ once a day for 5 days-1cc/50#'s. Banamine (1cc/100# twice a day 1st day then once a day for at least 3-4 days) will help with the inflamation in the udder.

When you get this doe cured...then for a dry treatment I would use Pirsue with 2cc of Gentocin added to the infusion. And seal the teat end with either fingernail polish or Dry-Off. I also treat any "problem child" again at 60 days from due date.

Since you've already treated her with the Tommorro you can't draw a milk sample to mail for testing. So, you're going to have to wing it on what type of mastitis your treating.
    Kaye

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thanks for the help. I am just sick over this. I have been so careful, and am disappointed. I have a call in to the vet but my goat vet quit a few months back and now I have to deal with the bovine guy who has a reputation for not liking goats.