Mastitis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, May 26, 2008.

1. My doe's udder is hot to the touch and when I milked her this morning her milk was pinkish colored.

What do I have to do to get this taken care of? I haven't dealt with mastitis before.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

When did she freshen? did you let her go over 12 hrs? I would first use warm compresses and make sure I milked her out get a sample off both teats and send it in for testing.

3. May 15th. And no she didn't go over 12 hours.
    I made sure to milk her out completely.

Thankyou :)

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you may need to milk her 3 times a day for a while

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would say that my does udders are hot. 102 degrees is their normal temp I would bet in this heat most are 103, add milk in the udder and the udder is more than warm.

Does also about 2 weeks out build production quickly, it bursts little capilaries in the udder and the milk can be pink, it can also be normal but has sediment in the bottom. And injury will cause this also but not in both sides at once. Mastitis is also rarely in both sides at once.

So if this is affecting both sides, if her attachments are lacking, or when she is first fresh, this is completely normal. Take her temp, a doe with the kind of mastitis that would cause her udder to be hot and painful and swollen will start with a fever that spikes. Then comes the really awful nasty milk. A little pink milk is not mastitis. Vicki

6. Thankyou Sondra and Vicki. I'll get her temp taken. Sheesh It seems like all I did is stare at the animals rear ends today. LOL. I have taken my filly's temp twice now and will be taking it every time I feed to make sure it remains the same. Now a goats rear end. Lol. Oh well. :)

7. Her udder is warm on both sides. This evening when we milked her milk looked normal and her temp is 103.8.
    The temp got up to atleast 82 today.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Other than being pink her milk is normal, is not hard to milk out etc??? Do you have any banamine? Vicki

9. This morning the only thing abnormal about her milk was the pink color.

This evening her milk was completely normal.

Haven't had any problems getting the milk out of her.

I have banamine paste.