Mastitis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, May 9, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Well Spice finally had her babies (yay!). Now that I got her settled down and she likes people again, I got a good feel of her udder. She had mastitis one time before (as a dry doe) and we treated it as soon as we found it and thought it was cleared up. When she started making her udder for this pregnancy, that side was not developing, so I figured the mastitis had damaged her udder.

Well now that I can check, there IS milk in there (just not in the teat), but the side (though still some smaller than the good side) is hard as a rock. The mastitis is back. :/

I tried to infuse a tube of "Today" into the teat. It would only take half, and I tried to work it up, but no go. What can I do?

She was given antibiotics because we had to go in on the delivery (both were trying to come out at once). Will that help the mastitis? Should I try another tube of "Today" tomorrow? Anything else I can do?

Honestly I'm so relieved that she hasn't lost that side of her udder, that mastitis almost seems like a good thing. Not really. But you know what I mean. At least it's still *trying* to work... now if we can just get that mastitis cleared up.

Any and all advice appreciated!
    Kathy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Can you get any milk out of the side? If the hard mass is scar tissue than the half is ruined if you can't get the milk out. If you can get milk out culture it, let them know thought that she is on systemic antibiotics for a bad delivery.

With the scar tissue blocking the milk to the teat she will simply dry up and you will only be able to milk one side.

Alot of treatment you read about and get from the vet for mastitis, actually ruin the half, not enough meds and the right ones to really have done anything would be curious what you did for this mastitis in this dry doe and how you knew she had mastitis, did you run a culture? vicki

3. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Not a drop. :( There's nothing going down into the teat. That's why I thought it must be damaged beyond repair even before she delivered. I massaged the udder with a warm wet cloth tonight, but still nothing has come down into the teat. Maybe she has lost it. :/

I'd already accepted that, since she's such a great doe, but I was hoping for better.

I was given advice from a local goat person (with a lot of experience) - a culture was not done, but she told me that's what it was. She told me to milk out the udder (it was stringy, thick goo - more like pus than even thick colostrum) and infuse the teat with pennicillan over several days (I can't remember how many now, it was more than a year ago). It was my first experience with mastitis, and I didn't know about "Today" at that time (or these forums). But it seemed to have cleared it up. I didn't realize that there had been damage till she started developing her udder with this pregnancy. :(

So if I can't get any milk to come out, there's nothing to do? :(

Kathy