Mastitis milk testing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I have heard alot of talk on here about sending in milk to LSU to get a more reliable mastitis test than CMT. I think that my doe has mastitis, but I'm not for sure. I've already given her a round of antiobiotics, (Pirsue and Bio-mycin) and I haven't seen much change. Her udder is still hard and the milk is thin, watery, and yellowish. I was going to start her up on antiobiotics again, but wanted to be sure that she had mastitis so I'm not needlessly giving her medicine. Can someone tell me how to send milk in? What exactly is LSU? Can I send it or does my vet have to? How long does it take to find out? Sorry if any of these are dumb questions, I'm still rather new to goats and don't know...Thanks alot! :D

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

This was in Goat 101
    Louisiana State University Agricultural Center - Hill Farm Research Station, Mastitis Laboratory 3380 Highway 79, Homer, LA 71040
    (318) 927-9654

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm not sure where you would send it in to, but I was concerned about what "a round of antibiotics" were.. I know the Pirsue is uaually a one-time treatment, but how long on the Bio-mycin? also.. sad to say, but once you start treatment, it will affect the tests they run and you won't get correct results.
    I'm sure someone else will chime in here and give you more answers (and maybe ask more questions?)
    Stacy

You may want to call them, tell them your treatment and see what they say?

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Also has she been tested for CAE? How long has it been since you used the Piruse?

5. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

She was tested for CAE last year...and tested negative. Last of 3 days of Pirsue (a tube a day) was given on the 2nd. Bio-mycin was 4cc, once a day, for 3 days. Thanks for your help!

6. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

The man at the LSU lab is very easy to talk to and will patiently answer all of your questions. Since she was given antibiotics you will have to wait for a period of time before sending in your sample. I'm not sure of the time though.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

LSU actually "grows" from the samples, so you need her clear of antibiotics before you send in the test sample.
    ;) Reason I like to use this lab instead of numerous other places that I could send samples to.
    Kaye

8. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

When I was in MS and sent my samples to LSU they didn't do a sensitivity...had to guess at which atibiotic to use. Have they changed that? Sometimes the 'right' antibiotic might not work if the organism has developed resistance. I have had that happen. I am sending my samples to UC Davis now, much more expensive, but I am testing for mycoplasma too.