Mastitis, first ever

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Jun 2, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Okay, I've dealt with sub-clinical types of mastitis and done well. I've never done an udder infusion and never had to treat full blown mastitis. But I've got a ff with the icky tasting milk, a small lump in her udder and now strings and clumps in the strip cup, tenderness and not feeling so great. Temperature has been normal. I'll take it again before calling the vet, then I'm off this morning to get red top tubes for samples and a case of Pirsue. He will not give me gentimycin as he doesn't use it.

I'll put a milk sample in the freezer today before treatment begins. I'm hoping to get it to Columbia this week. I cannot use LSU with the summer heat and our slow postal system.

Antibiotics on hand...Excenel, Biomycin, Penn G and that long-acting Penn. I've also got supportve Bo-Se and Fortified B Complex and Banamine, too.

I've searched the archives but want to be clear in how I treat her. I would really appreciate a walk-thru on treatment or simply reference to a thorough dialog.

Thank you,

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: HELP Full Blown Mastitis, first ever

pm Kaye or Vicki if you don't find the answer in above thread

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

bump

4. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Okay...thanks Sondra. I do need further advice. Some things are not available to me through the local vets. I did get the Pirsue for $49.50 but after reading, see that I may need all 12 for this doe! Yikes! Will PM Kaye for advice.